• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

help understanding exterior stair requirements

I really do appreciate all the replies, advice and help w/ this - it is very intimidating to get bossed around by the insurance co w/ something that I dont know too much about. I certainly can understand the benefits of code standards, but also the need for common sense applied to certain situations. Like I originally mentioned, the more I tried to look into this, the more unclear much of this became.
Though changing out our sliding door and adding the false balcony will be more effort, time and money than we would want - atleast it appears to be a solution that should appease all the aspects involved (insurance co, PennDot, minimal obstruction to traffic, etc).
Thanks again!

I did end up switching insurance companies - the new co has much more reasonable expectations and was upfront about them from the start. I did end up building steps (I had already started) that should be to code w/ the possible exception of the landing at the top (I saw if the door swings in, then a landing is not required, but was unclear if that was only for interior steps). Our front door swings in and there is no screen door, and not having a landing was a big difference to the overall size of the steps & railing which would of dramatically hindered visibility. The new insurance company loved the idea of the false balcony and is what we will be doing, but they are fine w/ the steps in place now, so it removes the urgency of replacing the sliding door and adding the balcony.
Again, thanks to everyone for the information and ideas

I did end up switching insurance companies - the new co has much more reasonable expectations and was upfront about them from the start. I did end up building steps (I had already started) that should be to code w/ the possible exception of the landing at the top (I saw if the door swings in, then a landing is not required, but was unclear if that was only for interior steps). Our front door swings in and there is no screen door, and not having a landing was a big difference to the overall size of the steps & railing which would of dramatically hindered visibility. The new insurance company loved the idea of the false balcony and is what we will be doing, but they are fine w/ the steps in place now, so it removes the urgency of replacing the sliding door and adding the balcony.
Again, thanks to everyone for the information and ideas

Sounds great!!!!

Just have to find someone with common sense