• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

help understanding exterior stair requirements

Do you only have two exterior doors out of the first floor???

Other option add another exterior door???

Out of another side of the house
Yes, we only have the front door out to the street and rear sliding door - we have a basement but it only has access from inside the house. The only other door is a sliding door from our 2nd floor bedroom out to a deck.
There would not be any place to add another door w/ out alot of remodeling.

• Back door needs to meet Egress requirements of side hinge and minimum width.
  • A false balcony is accessed by a door and goes nowhere, thus it can be just a guard across the door opening with a small deck 4 - in deep to prevent small feet from falling through.
  • Yes you could make them from wood, however I would suggest aluminum and have them mimic a wood look.
Sorry, could you clarify - would the false balcony work if we still had the sliding rear door?
If the false balcony only needs to be a 4" deep - that would be a great solution and would probably be the best option to keep from blocking the view for people pulling out.

That is something that we've considered doing - this would be a good reason to do it.
But, would having the sliding door keep us from from being able to put a false balcony at the front door?

If you have a swinging door at the back

That should make the insurance company happy and not have to worry about the front door at all.

Yes, we only have the front door out to the street and rear sliding door - we have a basement but it only has access from inside the house. The only other door is a sliding door from our 2nd floor bedroom out to a deck.
There would not be any place to add another door w/ out alot of remodeling.

ok just checking

Sorry, could you clarify - would the false balcony work if we still had the sliding rear door?
If the false balcony only needs to be a 4" deep - that would be a great solution and would probably be the best option to keep from blocking the view for people pulling out.

What view would it be blocking???

Maybe we are approaching this wrong!!

If you step out of the front door,,, what is the distance from the front door floor to the ground??

What view would it be blocking???
our house sits right at the inside corner of the main road and an intersecting side road - it used to be the toll house when the main street used to be the Philadelphia Turnpike - its why it sits so close to the road. Pulling out of the side road onto the main road is difficult, besides the house itself being difficult to see past, we are in the middle of a slight bend in the road which limits visibility even more. Having anything additional in front of our house would just add to the problem.

Maybe we are approaching this wrong!!

If you step out of the front door,,, what is the distance from the front door floor to the ground??
The front door is 40" from the ground.
The front of the house itself is about 6' from the road.

The front door is 40" from the ground.
The front of the house itself is about 6' from the road.
Ok, not sure how many steps would be needed

My idea get some pre made steps

Like this::

1. Put them in place,,,, insurance company is happy….

2. Just never use them.

Maybe they disappear one day??

I plan on building a set of steps - 5 steps w/ no landing at the top. Besides the landing, I believe they would otherwise meet code from everything I could find/ understand. This should be enough to satisfy the insurance co, but I think the false balcony sounds like it would be the ideal permanent solution.

My idea get some pre made steps

Like this::

1. Put them in place,,,, insurance company is happy….

2. Just never use them.

Maybe they disappear one day??
I did look into these premade steps - but it doesnt seem that most of them would meet code - though I'm not 100% clear on all the pertaining code details.
Again, no matter what steps would be out front, they would never be used by anyone, ever. And from the inside, though the door is there, it is pretty much blocked off, it is never used.

I did look into these premade steps - but it doesnt seem that most of them would meet code - though I'm not 100% clear on all the pertaining code details.
Again, no matter what steps would be out front, they would never be used by anyone, ever. And from the inside, though the door is there, it is pretty much blocked off, it is never used.

pre made stairs should meet code

Makes the insurance person happy

Do you have neighbors with the same condition

Some have stairs??

Some do not have stairs???

The front door being allowed to have the balcony is not an issue, you can do it, as long as, the local AHJ zoning laws allows it and I believe with your situation they would prefer it over a set of steps.

The false balcony issue can be put anywhere, as long as, your primary means of egress door is in place somewhere else in the home, which is what you INsurance company has their nickers in an uproar about. Currently your designated M.O.E. door is a hazard for exiting.

So you need to install another designated M.O.E. door to satisfy the insurance carrier and the local AHJ.

You could do it by replacing the sliding door with a French door, seems to be the simplest way, pretty sure you can get a direct replacement for the opening and you are already using that as your entrance.

to Keep the sliding door you would need to find another location and cut a new M.O.E. door in there.
  • it can be were you have a existing window
  • or directly through a wall
  • or again replace the sliding door with a hinged one
The sliding door replacement does not require you building a new landing and stair flight on the outside.

But you need to have one compliant and established "Means of Egress Door" (M.O.E) with proper exit to ground level outside the home.
  • You don't
    • Your currently designated M.O.E. has no proper landing and stair flight outside, your existing front door is non-compliant.
    • Your current sliding door does not comply as a M.O.E. Door, it is not side hinged.
  • Simple fix, install a side hinged door someplace exiting the home with proper landing and stair flight.
You Insurance company does not care where, they only care you don't currently have one that is compliant for an emergency.

Relocation of the door maybe the safest thing, due to being so close to the roadway.

Do you have neighbors with the same condition

Some have stairs??

Some do not have stairs???
no other houses nearby sit as close to the road as this, and the few others in the area are not on a main state road - they also seem to all have the front door at ground level (no steps).

Don't put anything in front of the house without getting Penn DOT (if it's a state road) or township (if it's a local road) clearance. As a previous post mentioned, it might interfere with the sight line for traffic on a curve or side road.

Penn DOT or the township should have a survey showing how far back their right-of-way extends.

Don't put anything in front of the house without getting Penn DOT (if it's a state road) or township (if it's a local road) clearance. As a previous post mentioned, it might interfere with the sight line for traffic on a curve or side road.

Penn DOT or the township should have a survey showing how far back their right-of-way extends.
the house itself is in the township, but the main road where our front door goes out to is a state road handled by PennDot. Just about anything sticking out from the front of the house more would interfere w/ visibility for certain - explaining this to the insurance co fell on deaf ears.
The suggestion of the false balcony seems like the best solution so far - just need to change our rear door first.

Just tell your insurance company that you could not get a zoning permit to build the stairway. I had a stupid insurance guy tell me that I had to build a set of steps from my 3rd floor investment apartment house roof (there is a door to the 2nd floor flat roof) to the neighbor's burned out house rear deck which did not have access to grade. I just told them I could not get a zoning permit and they let it go.

So, you have a barn door? If so, can you cut a swinging door into it?
Or could you add a door to another side of the house?
As previously mentioned, change insurance companies and obtain code clearance from the city.

Just tell your insurance company that you could not get a zoning permit to build the stairway. I had a stupid insurance guy tell me that I had to build a set of steps from my 3rd floor investment apartment house roof (there is a door to the 2nd floor flat roof) to the neighbor's burned out house rear deck which did not have access to grade. I just told them I could not get a zoning permit and they let it go.
We have tried to explain the circumstances to the insurance co - they did not budge.
We have talked w/ another local insurance co - they will be getting back to us this week.

So, you have a barn door? If so, can you cut a swinging door into it?
Or could you add a door to another side of the house?
As previously mentioned, change insurance companies and obtain code clearance from the city.
the rear entrance to the house (which is what we use as the main door) is a sliding glass door.
We have looked into different doorway options but there really isnt another reasonable solution.
I would think this situation would warrant some kind of variance or adjustment to current requirements, and what I was going to try for - but the false balcony seems like the best all around solution.