• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Help with ADA compliance after partial change of occupancy

oolong_johnson

Hello,

I work with a small business out of Colorado Springs, and we are trying to move into a new location. This location is currently two separate units that are in the process of being combined by adding a door through a connecting wall.

We did not realize this until recently, but several businesses operating in the larger unit did not do any permit filing, and the last group to do it was a church, which means it is permitted as an A-3 building. The smaller unit is permitted as a B, which is what we want for our business.

We recently were told by the permitting office that this would require a partial change of occupancy, and that would trigger a need for an ADA compliant bathroom upgrade. The two main bathrooms in the large unit would need to have toilets removed, counters changed, and other modifications to be compliant. This would come at a huge additional cost to us that we have not budgeted for, and would delay our move-in date significantly.

Our contractor is attempting to argue that if we changed the additional bathroom in the smaller unit into a ADA compliant family bathroom, it should potentially satisfy the code need since it is on the same floor and in the same general space, and both units will soon just become one large unit. We presented this option to the permitting board, and the response was basically a non-answer of "find a project designer that can come up with something that satisfies IEBC regulations." He did not weigh in on the specific plan we asked about it.

I am new to this forum and notice there are quite a few experts here, so was hoping someone could potentially weigh in on our situation and if our plan would be compliant. Any help would be greatly appreciated, and I will try to respond to any questions as I can.

Attachments

• FP GOTG.pdf
    31.2 KB · Views: 8
How large is the building, total square footage?

How large are each of the two spaces you want to combine?

The existing B space must have toilet facilities. One toilet room, or two?

How many stories is the building?

Are the spaces you want to combine on the ground floor?

How large is the building, total square footage?

How large are each of the two spaces you want to combine?

The existing B space must have toilet facilities. One toilet room, or two?

How many stories is the building?

Are the spaces you want to combine on the ground floor?
Thanks for the reply. I tried to attach the drawings to my original post, dont know if you can see them. Total square footage is around 9k with both units. One space is larger, about 6.6k with multiple toilet rooms. The smaller space is around 1.7k and has a single toilet, which is the one we proposed making the ADA compliant family restroom. The building is one floor, and both spaces are on the ground floor.