• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

help with Building Occupancy Classification Inventory Form

Keith

I've got a hazardous materials list for an auto repair shop but I can't figure out what level the materials are assigned to.

For instance,

Is oil a combustible liquid Class 2, 3A, or 3B?

What about gasoline? Class 2, 3A, or 3B?

Is oxygen for welding classified simply as 'flammable Gas'?

etc.

What would acetylene be?

Any resource links or suggestions to help me understand this stuff better are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Start with msds to look up properties

http://hazard.com/msds/

Then look in the fire code to help classify

Combustible. Flammable

Oxygen is on compressed gas and oxider

Acetylene compressed gas and flammable gas

Determine what materials you have, then determine quantities.

Then look up, in the tables, what is allowed.

Needed materials for school

Copy of the fire code

Msds for specific item you are looking at

There is software out there to help

Do not have a link, maybe someone else will post

By the way oil should be a class III B combustible

When I plug in 'propane' for example into the msds, I'm still can't find what to put in the "IBC Class Physical/Health column.

What I need is the UBC class. Physical/Health.

I can't find it in the code.

Last edited by a moderator:
You must start with the MSDSs. They give you physical material properties which you can compare to code definitions to determine what you are dealing with. For your motor oil example, type "motor oil" into the link provided by cda above. Click on the first link - Shell Heavy Duty Motor Oil 15W-40. Scroll down to Section V-III and you will see a flash point of 415* F using the closed cup method. Now look at IFC Chapter 34 (Flammable and Combustible Liquids). The definition of a III-B combustible liquid is "Liquids having closed cup flash points at or above 200°F (93°C)." Therefore, this motor oil is a Class III-B combustilbe liquid. Always make sure you are looking at the actual MSDS for the product which will be stored/used in the facility.

You look these things up enough, and you remember them for future reference. Gasoline is a I-B flammable liquid. Motor oil is a III-B combustible liquid. Acetylene is a flammable gas. Oxygen is an oxidizing gas. You didn't ask about windshield solvent, which can be flammable at certain concentrations.

For your propane example, there is a specific chapter that covers it (IFC Chapter 38, Liquified Petroleum Gas). Always go to a specific chapter first. If such a chapter doesn't exist, go to the more general chapter and see if there are requirements (if Ch. 38 didn't exist, you might look at Ch. 35 or Ch. 27 for more information on propane).

Kieth

"" Building Occupancy Classification Inventory Form"""

Is this form in the building code??

Can you post it??

Don't you wish you would have listened in the hour of fire code class you got in architect school??

Welcome again let the abuse begin

Kieth

If you don't know what you are doing, Contact an Environmental Consulting Service in your area, there are many.

Your "client or tenant", needs to provide you with all the MSDSs and quanities.

IBC Class cheat sheet

Here is a link to the form. The one I got from the fire dept. labels IBC Class in column 3.

www.unidocs.org/hazmat/new-construction/un-035.doc

or

http://www.sanjoseca.gov/building/Other/Hazmatform.pdf

It is virtually the same as the Waste/Non-Waste form, but has other information on it such as the IBC Class, (noted here as UBC Class).

As for fire code class, you mean to say don't I wish there was fire code class in architecture school...

Thanks to everyone for all the help.

The cross referencing of materials using the MSDS and then looking up flash points and such makes my head hurt.

There must be a cheat sheet somewhere!

Thanks again.

cda said:
Kieth"" Building Occupancy Classification Inventory Form"""

Is this form in the building code??

Can you post it??

Don't you wish you would have listened in the hour of fire code class you got in architect school??

Welcome again let the abuse begin

Last edited by a moderator:
par for the course

Not knowing what I am doing is sometimes par for the course, especially regarding Haz Mat.

I will definitely recommend a consultant for further work like this, I just thought I'd give it some effort and learn a little.

I have a very complete Waste/Non-Waste inventory list from the client with materials and quantities, it's the IBC class that is taking a village to decipher.

Thanks to all the villagers who have contributed,

Keith

mark handler said:
KeithIf you don't know what you are doing, Contact an Environmental Consulting Service in your area, there are many.

Your "client or tenant", needs to provide you with all the MSDSs and quanities.

Keith

this is the program I was talking about, I have not used it, but is is suppose to tell you everything you need to know

Purchase software that would allow you to properly classify your hazardous

materials according to the International Fire Code. The following information is for the only

software program we are familiar with that can provide this service. This software is sold

through the International Code Council on the website www.iccsafe.org.

HMEX: The Hazardous Materials Expert Assistant CD-Rom, Version 5.0

Price: $225.00 (Member Price: $195.00) Product #: 9405CD5

New features include:

• Hazard classifications and definitions are correlated with the 2006 IFC® and IBC®.

• Updated database. Revisions, errata and updates in referenced documents, classification

and related publications have been included. DOT shipping information listed in the

database has been updated to correlate with 49 CFR Table 172.101 (2006). Where

relevant, threshold quantities as listed in SARA (Extremely Hazardous Substances),

CERCLA (Superfund) and CAA (Clean Air Act) chemicals have been correlated with the

"Title III List of Lists" published by the EPA 550-B-01-003 dated October 2001 and

updated January 27, 2005. OSHA PSM chemicals have been updated to 29 CFR Section

1910.119 Appendix A of the 7/1/06 Edition.

• One-click errata, upgrades and downloads from www.iccsafe.org.

HMEx Assistant will help you:

• Acquire hazard classifications for chemicals and materials as required by the codes.

• Identify chemicals from a classified database of nearly 3,500 chemicals with more than

9,000 chemical names and synonyms. Access data by chemical name, synonym, partial

name, CAS registration number, or RTECS number.

• Determine physical and chemical properties, along with code identified physical and

health hazard properties.

• Quickly access code definitions and references by using "tool tips" and help screens with

more than 300 pages of definitions and reference material.

• Determine Firefighter Warning Placards.

• Screen chemical compatibility.

• Determine chemicals subject to the Emergency Planning and Community Right-To-

Know Act (EPCRA), Section 112® of the Clean Air Act and OSHA’s Process Safety

Management (PSM) regulations.

Available on CD-ROM in a single user version, Microsoft® Windows® Vista® compatible.

it is not bad if you only have a few chemicals to look fiqure out, but when you have a notebook full, a little help is nice

this is two year old but may help you also:: # option 3

http://www.stjoemo.info/cad/hazmat/Hazardous%20Material%20Classification.pdf

"""As for fire code class, you mean to say don't I wish there was fire code class in architecture school...""""

Hay I was only off by one hour!!!!