• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Here is your Sign

"...Leave room after discharge complete..."

hmmmmmmmm........

Side note

Under the Clean Air Act (CAA), the U.S. banned the production and import of halon, beginning January 1, 1994 in compliance with the Montreal Protocol On Substances That Deplete The Ozone Layer. Recycled halon and inventories produced before January 1, 1994, are now the only sources of supply.

The only way you'll leave the room is in a body bag. Didn't the Feds put a stop to the manufacturing of Halon? If so if a system goes off how do they replenish the system?? Change it out to a different system??

Me being a BO I have only dealt with this one time back in the early 90's where they installed a Halon system.

Just asking for my own knowledge here.....

Looks like Mark answered some of my ?'s while I was typing... Dang slow typer here...

Last edited by a moderator:
image.php

Slow transportation too....

:cowboy Yeeee Haaaawww Slow but steady! :)

I'm also very stubborn ... I have big ears too .... I guess that's why I'm a mule!

If the system still is in operation then it does not have to be removed. Once discharged, it may be possible to refill from the stockpile, BUT the government and military have first priority on all reserves.

Mark,

I'm supprised the sign does'nt say get janitor for keys to unlock the doors!

I don't know much about Texas mules, do they bite?

pc1

I love "Leave room when discharge is complete" LMAO

oops.. ditto to what Mark said didn't read all posts yet :oops:

Always get the them mixed up (age) 1211, 1301 and 2420 but manufacturers had till 2009 to stop manufacturing 1301 the least dangerous of the three I believe if memory serves me today?

This is what you call taking one for the team.

They should add a line that reads "Don't worry, we'll speak well of you when you're gone." Better yet, it coud say "Congratulations, the company will be named after you very soon."

People do not read signs. Most of us already know that. So that begs the question how can the icc figure that a life safety hazard just disappears with the posting of a sign. Example: "this door to remain unlocked" etc...

FyrBldgGuy said:
If the system still is in operation then it does not have to be removed. Once discharged, it may be possible to refill from the stockpile, BUT the government and military have first priority on all reserves.
OR you can use a drop in replacement gas, several are on the market here is one

http://www.fike.com/products/fshreplace.html

Change the nozzles, and tanks, you are good to go.

AND for the young folks on this board us old timers can recall when the way you tested a computer room for tightness was to dump the halon gas and measure the %, at the ceiling, chest level and at the floor. The fun part was when they would do this a few times until they found all the leaks. And yes sometimes you would go into the room full of Halon. Surprise no one died.

AND for the young folks on this board us old timers can recall when the way you tested a computer room for tightness was to dump the halon gas and measure the %, at the ceiling, chest level and at the floor. The fun part was when they would do this a few times until they found all the leaks. And yes sometimes you would go into the room full of Halon. Surprise no one died.
Fond memories....used to laugh quietly when we reminded the Tech to take a deep breath, stay low and go fast :)

Love the sign AFPE especially the suttle message at the end.

I like the road sign too! Thanks AegisFPE.

I remember too taking readings inside of rooms when the Halon Testing was performed. I don't think the Halon caused me any damage.

Long before I tested Halon I had already joined the fire service so clearly I was defective before the Halon exposure.

P.S. My Dear old Dad was also a fire fighter, so it was genetic.

Alright all you "Kurt Russell from Backdraft" types ("We don't need no stinkin' SCBA")! :D

Lest someone reads this and thinks there is no hazard, we should point out that there is. Not the sure-thing kind of hazard that jumping from a tall building will get you, but a hazard nonetheless . . .

Enough of this, my toast just finished. Now where is that fork . . . :D

FBG,

I knew there was a good reason why I like you. My old man kicked me so hard up my A$$ (you know the kind where the tail bone is hit and you walk around going ouuuuuuu)when he caught me huffing gasoline in the carport when I was 11. I turned out OK too .....heeeee heeeeeee

Alright all you "Kurt Russell from Backdraft" types
Sad day.........Former Chicago Battalion Chief, Ray Hoff (Movie was loosly based on him and his brother) died yesterday. He was a real great guy and I am proud to have known him and sharred a few with him.