• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

HERS Rater

ICE

Oh Well
Another thread about rafter bearing was drifting into insulation questions.

New houses in California are required to employ a HERS rater to certify the insulation. So what is a HERS rater? It is: a person who is certified as a Home Energy Rating System Rater. Inspectors can’t be trusted to get the insulation done correctly. Sadly, that is true.

As soon as I posted this, the ads for HERS rater showed up.

1687911693768.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
As soon as I posted this, the ads for HERS rater showed up.

View attachment 10902

Hers Rating Ads aren’t the only ones listening in......

Over here in PennsylTucky there was chattering a few hrs. back about having something like this as well or maybe it was chatter from ICC , I can’t recall which, but the point stands. I would suspect the “standard certified inspectors” not adequately performing its energy inspection duties is related to the I codes originally being touted for life/safety and energy codes not taken seriously and the rapid advancement of that code. However, by now all should be versed enough to reasonably perform its duties.

Just another way to drive up housing costs......If the building department was properly staffed and funded, this would not be an issue....
Is it possible - readable given resources and available talent - to properly staff and fund building departments? Is any agency or company properly staffed and funded today?

Is it possible - readable given resources and available talent - to properly staff and fund building departments? Is any agency or company properly staffed and funded today?
I take in about $1.5 million a year and spend $700,000....It's possible....The building departments are designed to be self funding and in most places mandated to do so....Getting the municipalities to follow the law is the difficult thing and will only be fixed by lawsuit...

Another thread about rafter bearing was drifting into insulation questions.

New houses in California are required to employ a HERS rater to certify the insulation. So what is a HERS rater? It is: a person who is certified as a Home Energy Rating System Rater. Inspectors can’t be trusted to get the insulation done correctly. Sadly, that is true.
Handbook. For Installers, inspectors and HERS Raters.

Hers Rating Ads aren’t the only ones listening in......

Over here in PennsylTucky there was chattering a few hrs. back about having something like this as well or maybe it was chatter from ICC , I can’t recall which, but the point stands. I would suspect the “standard certified inspectors” not adequately performing its energy inspection duties is related to the I codes originally being touted for life/safety and energy codes not taken seriously and the rapid advancement of that code. However, by now all should be versed enough to reasonably perform its duties.
i herd something different. That they were going to have energy auditors to check our work like they do for accessibility.

i herd something different. That they were going to have energy auditors to check our work like they do for accessibility.
You may be right on that, I can’t recall exactly. Either way, at this point it hasn’t occurred.
If they intended auditors like accessibility and it was through the state that likely was dead before it started...

Man, you have no idea what I have to do to accept a performance energy plan approved. I try to explain to people to go a different route but they never listen. They tell me they had this great company do it. I then explain that it will be sent to a third party for the review as I do not have the software nor training to review it. The company I use is really good at it, like really good, and nobody gets through it on their first or second attempt. It really slows down their projects. So, why is this? Well, I am not allowed to call these architects and their performance energy people liars so.......................

I bet that as time goes on a lot of the HERS Raters will be pencil whipping their reports.

Are you allowed to use HERS as an acronym Ca. :eek: