• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

HID and time delay EM

chris kennedy

Sawhorse
I'm looking for a code requirement that states indoor HID lighting requires the use of time delay emergency lighting.

Thanks

imhotep said:
What are you looking for? Do you want to reject use of HID for MOE illumination because of restrike time?
Its an existing support building at Fort Lauderdale International Airport I'm doing a remodle on and during plans review the BO had a comment that was re-engineered to add TD EM lights to the warehouse area that also serves as a means of egress. GC is having a tough time wrapping his head around this $2000 extra so I was going to fire off an E-mail with the code section. The closest I can find is IBC 1006 but I'm thinking there must be something more specific.

Thanks

The Bo wants time delay???

Of if so why?

Did the Bo give you a section reference.??

NEC 700-16. Emergency illumination.

Emergency illumination shall include all required means of egress lighting, illuminated exit signs, and all other lights specified as necessary to provide required illumination.

Emergency lighting systems shall be designed and installed so that the failure of any individual lighting element, such as the burning out of a light bulb, cannot leave in total darkness any space that requires emergency illumination.

Where high-intensity discharge lighting such as high- and low-pressure sodium mercury vapor, and metal halide is used as the sole source of normal illumination, the emergency lighting system shall be required to operate until normal illumination has been restored.

Exception: Where alterative means that ensure the emergency lighting illumination level is maintained shall be permitted.

NEC 700-12. General Requirements.

"..... emergency lighting, emergency power, or both will bc available within the time required for the application but not to exceed 10 seconds...."

What is the restart time of the HID lights

Last edited by a moderator:
cda said:
The Bo wants time delay???Of if so why?

Did the Bo give you a section reference.??
No code reference given but it makes sense and I have used them before in spaces illuminated with HID. Picture this. POCO (power company/utility) goes out and HID's go dark and EM lights come on. Now power is restored by POCO in 2 mins EM lights go dark but HID's are hot and take 5 mins to restrike. Means of egress is left dark. Is there something more specific than 1006 I can site?

mark handler said:
Where high-intensity discharge lighting such as high- and low-pressure sodium mercury vapor, and metal halide is used as the sole source of normal illumination, the emergency lighting system shall be required to operate until normal illumination has been restored.
Christ me kill me Mark, never thought that would be an NEC thing, should have known that, thanks.

Oh.......I see said the person wondering in the dark

Learn something new allllll the time