• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

High Rise Fire Service Access Elevator Lobby + Stair Adjacency

padair

Hi - Just when I think I understand this topic, I read the code again and I don't.

The topic:

In a high-rise building where a Fire Service Access Elevator(FSAE) Lobby is required.

Does the one of the enclosed exit stairs need to be directly adjacent to the FSAE per the link below?

Stair Direct Access to FSAE + Corridor - Direct connection from Lobby to Stair and Stair to Corridor. The connection from stair to corridor makes complete sense per OBC 3007.9.1

OR

Per 3007.6.1 of Ohio Building Code can the exit stair move away from the FSAE lobby if connected via a protected path? Can an egress corridor on a residential building be a protected path?

"3007.6.1. Access to interior exit stairway or ramp. The
fire service access elevator lobby shall have direct access
from the enclosed elevator lobby to an enclosure for an
interior exit stairway or ramp.

Exception: Access to an interior exit stairway or ramp
shall be permitted to be through a protected path of
travel that has a level of fire protection not less than the
elevator lobby enclosure. The protected path shall be
separated from the enclosed elevator lobby through an
opening protected by a smoke and draft control assembly
in accordance Section 716.5.3."

or does 3007.9 of Ohio Building Code make it mandatory that the stair be directly adjacent? Does "direct" mean right next to or can access be through my corridor or protected path?

"3007.9 Standpipe hose connection. A Class I standpipe hose
connection in accordance with Section 905 shall be provided
in the interior exit stairway and ramp having direct access
from the fire service access elevator lobby.

3007.9.1 Access. The exit enclosure containing the stand-pipe
shall have access to the floor without passing through
the fire service access elevator lobby."

Thank you

3007.9 requires locating the hose connection in the stairway enclosure rather than the elevator lobby. It doesn’t control where the stairway is required to be.

You can utilize the corridor as a protected path just as long as the protection level is 1-hour smoke barrier (same as lobby enclosure). Door between lobby and corridor shall be smoke and draft assembly in accordance with 716.2.2.1 Door assemblies in corridors and smoke barriers. The door into stair of course is 90 minute rated fire door.