• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

High rise sfrm

Codegeek

This may be a dumb question as I do not have a lot of experience with high rise buildings. How is Section 403.2.4 of the 2012 IBC to be read? Is it that SFRM is required for all high rise buildings OR is it to be read that when SFRM is used, it must meet the bonding requirements noted in the Table?

I was under the impression that SFRM was an option for encasement, not a requirement and it was up to the designer to determine the method of encasement. If SFRM is chosen, then it must meet the requirements for the application in which it is used (i.e. high rise) and is subject to special inspection. Thank you for confirming I was looking at it correctly.

Codegeek said:
I was under the impression that SFRM was an option for encasement, not a requirement and it was up to the designer to determine the method of encasement. If SFRM is chosen, then it must meet the requirements for the application in which it is used (i.e. high rise) and is subject to special inspection. Thank you for confirming I was looking at it correctly.
Many different designs may be used for fire resistance rating - concrete encasement, Sheetrock wrapping, etc..... SFRM is usually faster,easier, and weights less than other methods, thus the popularity of this method for high rises.