• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

High storage racks in existing building

Mr. Inspector

SAWHORSE
What would be the classification of work if they are adding high storage racks in less than 50% of a building, (alteration level 1, alteration level 2 or a change of occupancy) if they are not changing the type of commodities they are already storing?

What type of commodities are they storing? Amount of commodity if hazardous ? ?

I just failed the plan review and one reason was because they didn't say. The plan was from the rack manufacturer and only showed how the racks are assembled, engineering cals, dimensions of racks, distance between racks, aisles, size of boxes on pallets and an approximate location in the building. Nothing about the building itself.

On the fire side of plan review, Even though it is """"existing"""" I would require a full analysis, of the storage arrangement and fire protection

Just because it is existing, does not mean it is right

Just because it is existing, does not mean it has not changed in some way over the years

I have seen fully sprinkled warehouse burn to the ground, just do not want my name on the side of it.

What would be the classification of work if they are adding high storage racks in less than 50% of a building, (alteration level 1, alteration level 2 or a change of occupancy) if they are not changing the type of commodities they are already storing?
To answer your question, I would consider this "Alteration - Level 2" if you're using the work area compliance method. If using the prescriptive compliance method, then it would just be an "Alteration" per Section 503.

By adding high-pile storage you will now need to comply with IFC Chapter 32--existing conditions will no longer be sufficient. Per the prescriptive requirements for alterations or per the requirements of Level 1 alterations (which are still required for Level 2 alterations), a building cannot be made less compliant than it was prior to the alteration. By adding high-pile storage, the building will now become less compliant than it was, thus requiring any applicable changes required for high-pile storage.