• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Higher Education Laboratories (IBC 428)

Paul Sweet

Sawhorse
The 2018 IBC has a new section 430 Higher Education Laboratories. How does this section relate to Table 414.2.2 Design & Number of Control Areas? Is it an intermediate step for labs which exceed hazardous material amounts in T414.2.2, or does it apply to all labs, no matter how much (or how little) hazardous materials are used or stored?

I see where "Laboratory Suite" and "Teaching and Research Laboratory" are defined, but not "Laboratory" itself. Colleges have many different types of laboratories - chemistry, biology, physics, electronics, geology, welding, environmental, nursing, etc. (maybe they overuse the term). Although chemistry, welding, and some other labs often have significant amounts of hazardous materials used or stored in them, many others have negligible amounts of hazardous materials stored or used in them.

Actually, it's Section 428.

Each suite is permitted the quantities allowed per Tables 307.1(1) and (2) based on Table 428.3. Thus, if a lab suite is located on the 20th story, the suite is limited to 25% of the quantities listed for each applicable chemical listed in Tables 307.1(1) and (2). Thus, lab suites per this Section are used in lieu of control areas.

How does a Lab Suite differ from lab rooms? Each a one hour rated space? Can 4 rooms = one suite? The code does not seem clear enough on this. If the walls between the rooms are not rated then I understand the suite idea. The full suite needs to be rated. However I am reviewing something which shows 4 rated rooms as one suite. Any thoughts?

Although not italicized like it should be, "Laboratory Suite" is a defined term in Chapter 2. See if reading that definition will help clarify things.

Although not italicized like it should be, "Laboratory Suite" is a defined term in Chapter 2. See if reading that definition will help clarify things.
Thanks for your response (although a delayed response by me). I do not think the definition helps me.