• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Historic Repair - Design

Hyrax4978

I am potentially going to look at documenting a repair to a historic building. The client mentioned that the building is classified as a class 1 or grade 1 which (they said) means we can just match what was there and we don't have to meet todays building code.

I looked quickly under chapter 12 of the IEBC and didn't see anything in there on the different classifications of historic buildings.

Any thoughts?

1202.1 General. Repairs to any portion of a historic building
or structure shall be permitted with original or like materials
and original methods of construction, subject to the provisions
of this chapter.
Hazardous materials, such as asbestos
and lead-based paint, shall not be used where the code for
new construction would not permit their use in buildings of
similar occupancy, purpose and location.

Is it really a "repair" ?

[A] REPAIR. The reconstruction, replacement or renewal of
any part of an existing building for the purpose of its maintenance
or to correct damage.

Yes, basically repairing an existing elevated porch type that has some deterioration in the sub framing as well as to provide frost protected footings as they are setting more and more over the years. My concern is taking off the decking/railings/stairs (while bracing/shoring up the roof to keep it in place) someone would trigger non compliant railing heights as part of putting them back and repairing any that have damaged wood.

1203.10 Guards.
Guards shall comply with Sections 1203.10.1 and 1203.10.2.

1203.10.1 Height.
Existing guards shall comply with the requirements of Section 704.

1203.10.2 Guard openings.
The spacing between existing intermediate railings or openings in existing ornamental patterns shall be accepted. Missing elements or members of a guard may be replaced in a manner that will preserve the historic appearance of the building or structure.

SECTION 704
MEANS OF EGRESS

704.1 General.
Alterations shall be done in a manner that maintains the level of protection provided for the means of egress.

Any idea where the concept of a "class 1" doesn't need to meet code, but a class 2 or what ever the alternate level of historical register levels does came from?
He seemed to think because it was a certain class of historical classification that was the reason it didn't need to meet it. i don't see anything in the code about different levels of historic classification.

That could be, he was basically saying there are two levels and this is the more "historic" which allows them to just replace in kind and not upgrade to current. but i don't see anything in the code on levels.

I have my structural engineer lined up to go review existing conditions with me. the question came up about changing the non visible structural items. will we be forced to replace in kind even though you cant see it, or can we change the non-visible structure to better meet todays design loads?
where is the easiest place to find this info out, aside from reaching out to the historic commission?

IEBC has a section on historic buildings section 508, then refers you to chapter 12

Definition

[A] HISTORIC BUILDING. Any building or structure that
is one or more of the following:
1. Listed, or certified as eligible for listing, by the State
Historic Preservation Officer or the Keeper of the
National Register of Historic Places, in the National
Register of Historic Places.
2. Designated as historic under an applicable state or local
law.
3. Certified as a contributing resource within a National
Register, state designated or locally designated historic
district.

1201.1 Scope. It is the intent of this chapter to provide means
for the preservation of historic buildings. Historical buildings
shall comply with the provisions of this chapter relating to
their repair, alteration, relocation and change of occupancy.
[BS] 1201.2 Report. A historic building undergoing repair,
alteration, or change of occupancy shall be investigated and
evaluated. If it is intended that the building meet the requirements
of this chapter, a written report shall be prepared and
filed with the code official by a registered design professional
when such a report is necessary in the opinion of the code
official. Such report shall be in accordance with Chapter 1
and shall identify each required safety feature that is in compliance
with this chapter and where compliance with other
chapters of these provisions would be damaging to the contributing
historic features. For buildings assigned to Seismic
Design Category D, E or F, a structural evaluation describing,
at a minimum, the vertical and horizontal elements of the lateral
force-resisting system and any strengths or weaknesses
therein shall be prepared. Additionally, the report shall
describe each feature that is not in compliance with these provisions
and shall demonstrate how the intent of these provisions
is complied with in providing an equivalent level of
safety.

I have my structural engineer lined up to go review existing conditions with me. the question came up about changing the non visible structural items. will we be forced to replace in kind even though you cant see it, or can we change the non-visible structure to better meet todays design loads?
where is the easiest place to find this info out, aside from reaching out to the historic commission?
If you are not changing design loads, like a COU, then there would be no need to upgrade to "current" loads.....