• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

History of hold-downs in IRC

Timo2025

Hello all,
I would like to know when the use of hold-downs was introduced in the IRC. Also, are hold-downs only required for the BV-WSP bracing method? Finally, is Simpson Strong-Tie the only brand allowed for hold-downs or are there others?
Thank you,

Timo

Hello all,
I would like to know when the use of hold-downs was introduced in the IRC. Also, are hold-downs only required for the BV-WSP bracing method? Finally, is Simpson Strong-Tie the only brand allowed for hold-downs or are there others?
Thank you,

Timo
Hello Tim,

There would need to be quite a bit of research to answer the first question, the second question can be answered by a quick look at your local codes, and the third is easy: the code does not recommend a product manufacturer. There are others.

I have a feeling there's some history behind your questions - perhaps we can help more if you let us know what you're looking for?

Even before there was an IRC, the CABO One- and Two-Family Dwelling Code required the use of anchor bolts. Those are the original "hold-downs." Perhaps you could be more specific as to what hold-downs you are asking about, and what section of the IRC you are looking at?

Anchor bolts don't qualify as "hold-downs" unless they are specially engineered to transfer the uplift from one end of a shear wall into the foundation or the walls below.

The first edition of the IRC in 2000 had lateral load requirements which made them necessary in many cases. I don't recall the old CABO code having similar requirements. The Southern Building Code had special requirements for high-wind areas, and I suspect the Uniform Building Code had special requirements for seismic areas.