• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Holmes on homes

Uncle Bob

Have any of ya'll watched this guy;s TV show?

He's in Canada so the building codes may be a little different. I really enjoy watching a professional who really cares about his work.

This is his website;

http://makeitright.ca/

I enjoy watching his programs,

Uncle Bob

I enjoy it, too, UB - except that I'm waiting for the episode where he invariably bags on the original contractor, and that contractor shows up - unbeknownst to Holmes - and kicks his a$$ for disparaging him on a nationally-broadcast cable program!

I raised an eyebrow in the first season when he corrected a previous contractors floors by securing joist hangers with screws. He does seem genuinely interested in doing a good job.

Of course, coming in after the hacks that did the original work, it's hard to look like anything but solid gold :)

I like the show, as well. Sometimes he overdoes the "What were they thinking?" part, but that's just show-biz. I really appreciate that (contrary to "This Old House", Home Again", etc.) he often refers to the permitting office and inspectors. Norm makes it look like ne's never pulled a permit in his life. Evidently, there are just as many hacks in the Great White North as there are in the states.

I stopped watching him when I was seeing IRC code violations.

I like his cause and appreciate what he does but he is a hypocrite to a degree

He did an episode in California and was clueless and got schooled by the local requirements

I'm the blessed one on this thread. We haven't had TV in years. The internet is our link to the outside world.

conarb, Nikita was right.

Same here JP. Don't miss a thing. I hear co workers talk about certain "reality" shows instead of a tropical island how about dropping the contestant in Bob Marshal Wilderness about September and see who is alive come May. They might actually have to work together instead of lying and cheating and teaching the viewers (young kids) whatever you do to come out on top is ok.

I feel better now

No B**B Tubes

Must be a western thing. My best friend in Livingston and brother-in-law in NM don't have TV's either. Life on the mountain would be great where one would not need a TV. I am :mrgreen: with envy.

Good for you guys, I admire that ;)

Haven't had television since 2001.

We choose to play Yahtzee, Risk, and Monopoly instead.

My 4 year-old can consistently defeat me at Checkers.

I didn't even realize a quadruple jump was possible until my 4 year-old performed one the other day.

Yahoo! I'm with Jim, Jeff and Greg on this, and am very Glad to see so many others are also doing without the mind-numbing, thought-paralyzing machine, which is appropriately been called, the "Boob Tube". Internet is sufficient. :D

I guess I need to get married again or shack-up with some old broad. I need another voice in the house; and the TV provides that for me. It's on whether I'm watching or not.

My daughter showed me that you can get a lot of shows on the internet; FREE; by going to websites like HGTV, PBS, TBS, many sports web sites like "The Masters" and others; and now I understand you can have double screens on your computer. I think the internet will eventually get rid of television.

I'm really enjoying "The Master's" this year. My ole bud; Phil Michelson almost made three eagles in a row. He's a great player; but, ususally manages to beat himself somewhere during the tourneys.

Maybe, I'll get a live-in house keeper to boss me around. :)

Uncle Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
It does not matter where you choose to live a TV is not needed item to survive or enjoy life
I know but I do love watching ESPN, Versus Hunting, and Sports and my internet does not offer them on line. We do play games (family) also and I look forward to more play when the daughter heads off to college :)

UB,

Hope he doesn't pull a Norman :) . I would like to see a good playoff though. Wonder why I gave up the game? Oh yea, old football players and golf clubs and tree proximity don't go well together:(

Last edited by a moderator:
JP, Great Falls Montana has 2 local TV channels, and one local cable channel (on which the City Commission meetings is aired, for those who like to suffer). -Not worth the time watching when there is so many better things to do! Here it is Sunday, and my plans examiner and I were in doing plans this afternoon just so he could get some comp time acrued to allow him to take a week off and move his wife up from Las Vegas. Yes sirree, JP, we have good people here in our Building Safety Division!

Things are going great, and everyday I appreciate it more and more. But things are a bit busy, with a new code cycle adoption happening, a new department merge, switching over to a new permit software system, and then there's the annual budget that is being completely rehashed due to our department merge and the economic downturn. LOL, Life is Great! :^ )

I to have no TV, do not even miss it. Actually it's one of the best I have done.

Terre, just might be through your neck of the woods on the April 24th.

Terre, Sure sounds like you have your hands full. Just got the budget done last week. It will be interesting to see if it will fly? Back to the original post... I will admit that I do miss some shows. PBS, NOVA & Front Line. The science channel and history channel. Used to love the outdoor channel but living it is better.

Reality shows??? What a bunch bull shirt.

Terre - glad to hear you're keeping Larry busy! Look forward to hearing from both of you soon. By the way, what new permit software are you switching over to? (Did I just end a sentence with a preposition? Shame on me!). We are exploring new software as well, but it can't be one of those high-$$$ ones!