• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Home Fire, Electrical Question

Alias

I posted a thread about a house fire in my AHJ about a month ago. While talking to the insurance adjuster yesterday about the fire, she mentioned that the fire started in the front bedroom. What I found intriguing and have a question about is a remark she made that ALL the electrical outlets in the house had burn marks on them.

My question is, is this common? :confused:

And if so, any idea why this occurs? :confused:

think would have to define what she means by "Burn Marks"

as in arcing from the appliance plugs being plugged in?

or smoke coming out of the wall/ electrical outlet box

or burned from the fire

or what was the cause of the fire lightning strike??

seems a little funny ALL were burned

AL wiring attached to the wrong devices?

Loose wiring causing arcing?

Smoke damage on the cover plates? (insurance adjusters aren't usually that knowledgeable when it comes to fire science or building theory)

cda - No lightning strike but homeowner did call power company claiming that the power company's lines were causing a problem. Lineman arrived and fire had already started. Haven't been able to get inside home to look at electrical.

rshuey - I suspect that it might have been too many power strips/multiple outlet boxes plugged into a standard outlet.?.

floating neutral????

ask the home owner if the lights or appliances were acting funny, or if they have cable tv check the coax for damage

cda said:
floating neutral????ask the home owner if the lights or appliances were acting funny, or if they have cable tv check the coax for damage
Met with the homeowner and`a local electrician yesterday afternoon and the electrician said a floating neutral. Light switch and overhead light in the bedroom were mainly affected. Light bulb actually blew according to homeowner. Homeowner also mentioned his 'smart stove' had a message about a bad line on its' display. Power will be back on today, electrician is going to check all the circuits before the homeowner rips out all of the wiring. He said the same thing I did, check the wiring and see if any part can be salvaged.