• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

home invasion and door repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

ameliasolis

I need some advice, we had someone break into our home. They, fortunately, got scared away (a truckful of teenagers, what has this world come to!!) and didn't manage to take anything. But they kicked in the front door and now we have to try to figure out what to do with it. right now it's just boarded up, but i'm not sure if we will have to buy a whole new door or if we can just replace the frame or what. I've heard that you have to just get a whole new door because the new frame might not fit the old door. i can't see buying a new steel door just because the frame is destroyed. the door itself is FINE. Does anyone has experience with commercial door repair in Markham or can advise? I definitely can't do it myself, i don't have enough carpentry experience to do that. just wondering, I'm having an argument with DH because he wants to just buy a whole new door. it's not going to be on insurance since i don't think the deductible is worth it. help!

I have no experience with such a situation. With the dimensions of the rough opening and the door it seems that a new frame could be made to match the existing door. Contact the local door shops for advice. The door shop can retrieve the door and return it with a new frame.

@ ~ @

ameliasolis, ...if you can locate a good door & lock
company [ new & repair ], they will "most likely" be
able to re-install the door to your existing frame......A
few of these type of companies around my area have
done this as "no big deal".

I recommend that you shop around some to get some
input on the various contractors..........It is amazing to
me what a few telephone calls can tell you about a
business.

As far as "what this world is coming to", ...IMO, it has
been on a serous downhill trajectory since the Fall in
the Garden. :(

@ ~ @

Without inspecting the door in person, no one here will be able to know if the door is re-useable.

However, if just the jamb was damaged, and was wood, then any competent carpenter that works with doors and windows, should be able to repair and or replace the frame structure and use the existing door.

Most pre-manufactured doors are designed, and mass produced in stock sizes. However, if your existing door was built before the advent of standard stocked frames and doors, there is a chance of a replacement frame not being off the shelf.

Any way you look at it, if you can't do the work yourself, then you are going to need to find a local professional and have them layout your options.

Is this a free standing residence, a row house, or? Is the door fire rated? If so the frame must be too,

Status
Not open for further replies.