• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

hood suppression maintenance vs. permitted work

"C"

We only evaluate it when new equipment (additional bottles, valves tubing & piping etc.) is installed or requested. Switching out links, cable, bottles etc. with new stuff (as necessary) is all maintenance practice as required by the installation standard in my humble opinion.

FM William Burns said:
"C"We only evaluate it when new equipment (additional bottles, valves tubing & piping etc.) is installed or requested. Switching out links, cable, bottles etc. with new stuff (as necessary) is all maintenance practice as required by the installation standard in my humble opinion.
Thanks, FM.

It appears the contractor replaced a large amount of piping and is trying to pass it off as "maintenance", I have no idea what was in place before.

new business in existing restatuant or same one that has been there for awhile???

My opinion:

403.1 Scope. Level 1 alterations include the removal and replacement or the covering of existing materials, elements, equipment, or fixtures using new materials, elements, equipment, or fixtures that serve the same purpose.

If your municipality requires permits for alterations, they need to submit.