• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Horizontal cross members

EliasFernandez

Good afternoon Everybody,

I have a customer who I am doing a pool barrier inspection for here in Texas. Section 305.2.5 of the 2018 ISPSC (pool code) says that " Where the barrier is composed of horizontal and vertical members and the distance between the tops of the horizontal members is less than 45", the horizontal members shall be located on the side of the pool."

My questions are:

1) if both neighbors have a pool is this requirement null?

2) if either one or both neighbors do not have a pool and the members are less than the required 45" apart and the fence is already finished ( because the customer didn't call before starting the project as they typically do) what would/could the legal repercussions be that you all are aware of?

I currently require my customers to install a stud cut at a 45-degree angle directly above the mid rail less than the required 45" by the code on the non-pool side so that somebody cannot get a 'toe hold' on the horizontal member less than the allowed 45" and get into the poolside.

Any advice is appreciated

Good afternoon Everybody,

I have a customer who I am doing a pool barrier inspection for here in Texas. Section 305.2.5 of the 2018 ISPSC (pool code) says that " Where the barrier is composed of horizontal and vertical members and the distance between the tops of the horizontal members is less than 45", the horizontal members shall be located on the side of the pool."

My questions are:

1) if both neighbors have a pool is this requirement null?

2) if either one or both neighbors do not have a pool and the members are less than the required 45" apart and the fence is already finished ( because the customer didn't call before starting the project as they typically do) what would/could the legal repercussions be that you all are aware of?

I currently require my customers to install a stud cut at a 45-degree angle directly above the mid rail less than the required 45" by the code on the non-pool side so that somebody cannot get a 'toe hold' on the horizontal member less than the allowed 45" and get into the poolside.

Any advice is appreciated
#1. The requirement has not changed in that the horizontal members shall not be less than 45” apart.

#2. The party that builds a pool is responsible for the barrier.

The beveled 2”x4” sounds like a good idea as long as both top and bottom members get the treatment.