• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Horizontal sliding doors

MrHaz

Greetings to all!

The issue in contention today comes from a client (architect) asking about horizontal sliding doors. The project has already been permitted, so the manual sliding door out of the Coach's Office was approved. Now, the Owner wants horizontal sliding doors coming off/out of the Training Room (through which you must pass from the Hydrotherapy Room to access the MOE.

1008.1.4.3 of the 2012 IBC requires this to be power operated.

What's the difference between the Coach's Office and here? I'm guessing it has to do with Occupant Load, but honestly, I can't find anything that allows the manually operated horizontal sliding door from the Coach's Office. Just references to 1008.1.4.3 and Item #1.

Thoughts? ;)

Look under door swing

10 or less door swing does not apply

Will look for the section

kilitact said:
Section 1008.1.4.3,sliding doors complying with this section will work
That requires automatic doors

The swing exception in 1008.1.2 is for Office not workout or training room, and 10 or less

Thank you all! Should have waited a few minutes longer to post as I found the Door Swing 1008.1.2. Exception #9 justifies without power in the Head Coach's Office with occupant load less than 10, AND REQUIRES the power-operated sliding door for the Training Room with 11 occupants BEFORE the 4 from the Hydrotherapy Room come through.

I understand now. The architect understands (but still doesn't like it that this one has to be powered).

Thanks to all!!!

Haz

mark handler said:
That requires automatic doorsThe swing exception in 1008.1.2 is for Office not workout or training room, and 10 or less
Section 1008.1.2, exception #6. In other than group H occupancies, horizontal sliding doors complying with Section 1008.1.4.3 are permitted in a means of egress. no mention of office workout training room????

exception #9 allows manually operated horizontal sliding doors in a means of egress system with an occupant load of 10 or less. This is from the 2009 IBC

kilitact said:
Section 1008.1.2, exception #6. In other than group H occupancies, horizontal sliding doors complying with Section 1008.1.4.3 are permitted in a means of egress. no mention of office workout training room????exception #9 allows manually operated horizontal sliding doors in a means of egress system with an occupant load of 10 or less. This is from the 2009 IBC
Yes. ?..and you point would be? ?...

mark handler said:
Yes. ?..and you point would be? ?...
Your statement appears to imply that the exception doesn't include workout or training rooms. (The swing exception in 1008.1.2 is for Office not workout or training room, and 10 or less)

Would you provide the code, code year and code section for this? Thanks

I think the confusion is to whether or not the door is used as a MOE.

In this case the fact that it is an MOE requires it to meet 1008.1.4.3 in order to be used, regardless of occupant load. If it is not an MOE then occupant load is relevant. I think you both agree with each other.

The exceptions cover:

10 or less and certain uses

There are more than 10 occupants

A training room is not listed.....the office is