• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Horizontal Vent Pipe run length IRC

tbz

Silver Member
OK,

This is a question for a new home I am building, I would prefer to have the roof vent pipes not exit through the front of the home which would be visible from the street.

Thus all the plumbing fixtures are in the front of the home, so I am looking at approximately 18ft horizontal travel to get to the rear half in the attic.

Been looking through the 2018 IRC and can't seem to find under vents what I am looking for, anyone have a cliff note pointer to send me in the right direction for what I can do about horizontal slope travel of the vent stack.

Thanks - Tom

Not certain about the IRC but in CA, if you increase the vent by at least one size, your horizontal vent distance is unlimited. In addition, your vent piping may run in the level horizontal position, (no slope needed). The only vent, at least in CA, that requires a slope is the island loop vent, 1/4" per foot rise.

Vents need pitch....sort of.....But no real limit to length....remember, they are just full of air...

P3104.2 Grade. Vent and branch vent pipes shall be graded,
connected and supported to allow moisture and condensate to
drain back to the soil or waste pipe by gravity.

Could up size your vent pipe in the attic or you might be able to use AAV's in some situations as long as you have access to them.

Might want to locate vents so there's no issues with future solar panel placement

# ~ #

Regarding using the AAV's [ in a Residential application ], ...we have
considered them be mechanical devices that will fail at some point.
Also, if they are considered to be mechanical in nature, ..."IF" used,
then we require a compliant walkway and a source of light at each

AAV.........Also, by using AAV's they make it much harder to diagnose
a malfunctioning \ non-functioning vent.

IMO, ...I would upsize your vent piping towards the rear of your
house, and decrease your concerns.

Q1): Do you plan to test all of the vent piping above the slab ?
I recommend it, as there could be some hairline cracks in the piping
that would be releasing methane gas..............Just sayin'

# ~ #

# ~ #

Regarding using the AAV's [ in a Residential application ], ...we have
considered them be mechanical devices that will fail at some point.
Also, if they are considered to be mechanical in nature, ..."IF" used,
then we require a compliant walkway and a source of light at each

AAV.........Also, by using AAV's they make it much harder to diagnose
a malfunctioning \ non-functioning vent.

IMO, ...I would upsize your vent piping towards the rear of your
house, and decrease your concerns.

Q1): Do you plan to test all of the vent piping above the slab ?
I recommend it, as there could be some hairline cracks in the piping
that would be releasing methane gas..............Just sayin'

# ~ #

Thanks for the input north star, bank barn style cabin in the mountains so full basement with 1st floor above. No plumbing under basement slab.

PCI, rear of the cabin faces north, no solar panels going there and 80% tree coverage, so the sun don't really shine, but the moss grows like rabbits...

Vents need pitch....sort of.....But no real limit to length....remember, they are just full of air...

P3104.2 Grade. Vent and branch vent pipes shall be graded,
connected and supported to allow moisture and condensate to
drain back to the soil or waste pipe by gravity.
Thanks Steveray

Tom