• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Horn Strobes

Car5

Question, does anyone know if horn strobes are required in a exam room of a doctors office? I have an alarm company asking. Being new this is very confusing. It’s difficult to figure out what is required and what is being sold to the customer. I’m all for the most notification, but it’s confusing to a new guy. I’m 2015 IFC. I have looked in 72, but don’t really see what I’m looking for. Any help would be appreciated!

You can do a visual only,,

As long as outside/ near the room there is audio.

Check 907.5.3.2.1. And 907.5.2.1.1

Start in IFC and than migrate to 72

Plus ADA requirements

Which you turn to NFPA 72, which is supposed to satisfy ADA.

Thanks for the replies. Reading it looks like they only are required if it is an ambulatory health care other wise it’s a business use and not required in the rooms.

Question, does anyone know if horn strobes are required in a exam room of a doctors office? I have an alarm company asking. Being new this is very confusing. It’s difficult to figure out what is required and what is being sold to the customer. I’m all for the most notification, but it’s confusing to a new guy. I’m 2015 IFC. I have looked in 72, but don’t really see what I’m looking for. Any help would be appreciated!

Visual as long as the decibel minimum is met.
907.5.2.3.1 Public use areas and common use areas
Visible alarm notification appliances shall be provided in public use areas and common use areas.
Exception: Where employee work areas have audible alarm coverage, the notification appliance circuits serving the employee work areas shall be initially designed with not less than 20-percent spare capacity to account for the potential of adding visible notification appliances in the future to accommodate hearing-impaired employee(s).

Visual as long as the decibel minimum is met.
907.5.2.3.1 Public use areas and common use areas
Visible alarm notification appliances shall be provided in public use areas and common use areas.
Exception: Where employee work areas have audible alarm coverage, the notification appliance circuits serving the employee work areas shall be initially designed with not less than 20-percent spare capacity to account for the potential of adding visible notification appliances in the future to accommodate hearing-impaired employee(s).

Welcome to the forum!!! How long have you been Marshaling?