• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Hospital backup power supply requirement

sunyaer

Is there a requirement in building code or any other standards for how long the backup power supply in a hospital in Canada or Ontario has to be?

It is not likely that the Building Code will be the most substantial requirement. I'm not totally sure given this is Canada. However, in the US, the requirement for backup power would likely be something out of the Health Department and be a condition of licensing.

It is not likely that the Building Code will be the most substantial requirement. I'm not totally sure given this is Canada. However, in the US, the requirement for backup power would likely be something out of the Health Department and be a condition of licensing.
Valid. I was only looking at emergency lighting, too. So, for the OP:

Also look at 3.2.7.9 and

3.2.7.6. Emergency Power for Treatment Occupancies
1) Except as required by Article 3.2.7.7., an emergency electrical power supply system for emergency equipment required by this Part for treatment occupancies shall be installed in conformance with CSA Z32, “Electrical Safety and Essential Electrical Systems in Health Care Facilities.” (See Note A-3.2.7.6.(1).)