• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Hospital patient door hardware

Hospital EOC

I have recently been blessed with the task of inspecting our facilities fire doors. It became apparent very quickly that the inspections either had not been done correctly or we are out of compliance. I guess my main question is on a rated 20 minute (patient) fire doors that go directly into a suite hallway why do these doors not have a door closer? Although the door rating doesn't call for it, should these have smoke seals? Keep in mind this building is from the 60's. I don't have design paperwork to review or prints dictating what's required.

Welcome

Cannot answer the seal question

Code does not require a closing device,,, Normally

Hello!

Current codes do not require patient room doors to be fire-rated or self-closing in sprinklered health care occupancies. These doors are required to have positive latching hardware. Here's an article about patient room doors: http://idighardware.com/2015/06/decoded-patient-room-doors-in-health-care-occupancies/.

The Joint Commission issued a bulletin which says that non-fire-rated doors, such as corridor doors to patient rooms, are not subject to the annual inspection requirements of NFPA 80 or NFPA 105. It also says that these doors should be routinely inspected and maintained. That bulletin is here: http://idighardware.com/2018/03/wwyd-joint-commission-policy-changes/.

Gasketing is not necessary because the doors are not required to limit the passage of smoke to a stated level. Annex A of NFPA 101-2012 says:
A.19.3.6.3.1 Gasketing of doors should not be necessary to achieve resistance to the passage of smoke if the door is relatively tight-fitting.

Here's what the 2012 NFPA 101 Handbook says about these doors:
Doors protecting openings in non-fire-rated corridor partitions — as permitted in new and existing sprinklered health care occupancies — must be able to resist the passage of smoke but are not required tohave a fire protection rating. Door-closing devices are not required, except on doors protecting openings in exit enclosures, horizontal exits, vertical openings, or required enclosures of hazardous areas. There are no restrictions — in terms of area or fire rating for glazing used in corridor doors — in new and sprinklered existing health care occupancies.

Patient room corridor doors are not required to have a fire protection rating in new and sprinklered existing health care occupancies. In existing non-sprinklered health care occupancies, the door need not be a true 20-minute fire protection-–rated assembly; rather, it is permitted to be a substantial door, such as those constructed of 1 3⁄4 in. (44 mm) thick, solid-bonded core wood. Some consider these doors to be equivalent to 20-minute fire protection –rated doors for which the self-closer has been omitted.

What's the purpose of a fire door if its not closed?

In case of problem, staff is supposed to close the doors.

Your facility should have a fire/ emergency response plan.

Suggest you get it and see how it reads. Plus they are supposed to practice it periodically

I appreciate your help on this. I have copied and pasted a lot of the articles you all referred to so I can share with colleagues. Our fire /response plan is lacking but does state some of this. Luckily we are in the process of updating policies. Thanks again everyone for your information and resources.

The trade off that came about in the I-codes that eliminated some of the requirements in the legacy codes are predicated on if you have the current required sprinkler system installed

2012 IBC

[F] 903.3.2 Quick-response and residential sprinklers.
Where automatic sprinkler systems are required by this code, quick-response or residential automatic sprinklers shall be installed in the following areas in accordance with Section 903.3.1 and their listings:

1. Throughout all spaces within a smoke compartment containing care recipient sleeping units in Group I-2 in accordance with this code.

2. Throughout all spaces within a smoke compartment containing treatment rooms in ambulatory care facilities.

3. Dwelling units and sleeping units in Group I-1 and R occupancies.

4. Light-hazard occupancies as defined in NFPA 13.

3401.2 Maintenance.
Buildings and structures, and parts thereof, shall be maintained in a safe and sanitary condition. Devices or safeguards which are required by this code shall be maintained in conformance with the code edition under which installed. The owner or the owner’s designated agent shall be responsible for the maintenance of buildings and structures. To determine compliance with this subsection, the building official shall have the authority to require a building or structure to be reinspected. The requirements of this chapter shall not provide the basis for removal or abrogation of fire protection and safety systems and devices in existing structures.

You need to find out what the adopted code was at the time of construction and follow that if it is more restrictive. We do not allow the removal of rated doors or closures in older buildings just because there is a fire suppression system in place. They have to prove the fire suppression system meets today's code requirements.

With proper analysis, we have allowed the removal of "Legacy" systems or features that are no longer required.....

3404.1 General. Except as provided by Section 3401.4 or
this section, alterations to any building or structure shall
comply with the requirements of the code for new construction.
Alterations shall be such that the existing building or
structure is no less complying with the provisions of this code
than the existing building or structure was prior to the alteration.

Steveray
Proper analysis is the only way you can determine if that rated corridor in a sprinklered building is no longer required. We have had many an architect come in with a Level I alteration and tell us the rated corridor is no longer required in an early 70's building because it has a fire suppression system installed. We then point them to 903.3.2 and ask if the suppression system complies. It doesn't and sometimes do to the original design it will not supply enough water for the quick response/residential sprinkler heads.

Plus

Main problem is which code was it designed to and maintained to.

Hospitals can have multiple agencies telling them what to do

NFPA 101

IBC

Jac

State

Fed

The ETC code