• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Hostel occupancy classification

Arcal

Bronze Member
I have been trying to determine the occupancy classification of a Hostel. I am using the 2007 California Building Code. It would be a single family dwelling converted into a hostel. The occupants would have full use of the house. So far I can justify R-1 (it is transient in nature), R-2 (it is like a dormitory), R-3 (it is congregate living with 16 or fewer occupants). Does anyone have any ideas? If it is an R-3, would you require any accessible features if nothing is being done to the house?

Re: Hostel occupancy classification

Their biggest issues will be sprinklers and accessibility. A Hostel is transient in nature, so I would go with R-1

I agree. The configuration is like a dormitory but it's purely transient so R-1 is appropriate.

As far as accessibility goes, yes, they need to make the facility accessible. It is a change in occupancy. Per 1134B.2 a series of accessible elements must be provided. The extent is based on the 20% rule.

When they find out everything that's required, they'll probably go another route.

Remove the "s" and you get "hotel", ergo transient, unless, as at the one called "California", you can "check out anytime you like, but you can never leave!" :lol:

I would go with R-1. Also, check section 3406 in the 2007 CBC for occupancy changes. It spells it out fairly clearly on the compliance issues. I would require ADA compliance if for no other reason than it makes economic sense.

Sue, lost on the frontier.....

jim baird said:
Remove the "s" and you get "hotel", ergo transient, unless, as at the one called "California", you can "check out anytime you like, but you can never leave!" :lol:
Or add an "i" where the "e" is and move the "e" to the end. :D

Thanks everyone. I informed her yesterday that it was going to be either R-1 or R-2 and in both cases she would have to deal with chapter 34 of the CBC and that she would have to meet accessibility requirements. The project is now officially dead.

That is probably in everyones best interest. It sounded like a hostel environment

Big Mac said:
That is probably in everyones best interest. It sounded like a hostel environment
Particularly toward the disabled.