• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Hot Mop Tar or Peel & Stick?

jar546

Forum Coordinator
Although this can be in either Commercial or Residential, I am posting it here. In the attached photo, you are looking at a hot mop for the 2nd layer of a rolled roofing system being put in place in preparation for concrete or clay tiles.

In your opinion, do you think the second layer being hot mopped on is better than if they chose to use a peel-and-stick product?

IMG_5767.JPG

The peel and stick underlayment I have reviewed requires that it be installed on a plywood deck.
So, IMHO your question for an opinion is misleading and assumes the product can be used as a second layer material.

There are peel and stick underlayment membranes and there are peel and stick roll roofing products and there are bridge deck waterproofing membranes that are peel and stick. Which did you have in mind? I've happened to have installed all 3 - once at least.

The peel and stick underlayment I have reviewed requires that it be installed on a plywood deck.
So, IMHO your question for an opinion is misleading and assumes the product can be used as a second layer material.
There are plenty of Peel and Stick products that are used as the second layer. We see them on a daily basis here in Florida with Miami Dade and/or Florida approval.