• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Hot water supply to lavatory

retire09

Silver Member
Is a hot water supply required to a lavatory in a public restroom?

I know the heat is limited to 120, but is hot water required?

Code section?

You don't mention which code, but 2009 IPC, Section 416.5 requires "Tempered" water, which by definition has a minimum temp of 85 degrees. 2006 IPC required the same.

SECTION 607 HOT WATER SUPPLY SYSTEM

607.1 Where required. In residential occupancies, hot water shall be supplied to all plumbing fixtures and equipment utilized for bathing, washing, culinary purposes, cleansing, laundry or building maintenance. In nonresidential occupancies, hot water shall be supplied for culinary purposes, cleansing, laundry or building maintenance purposes. In nonresidential occupancies, hot water or tempered water shall be supplied for bathing and washing purposes. Tempered water shall be supplied through a water temperature limiting device that conforms to ASSE 1070 and shall limit the tempered water to a maximum of 110ºF (43ºC). This provision shall not supersede the requirement for protective shower valves in accordance with Section 424.3.

I'll go with 'Yes'.

2009 IPC requirement... going back, the first deviation from that text was in the 2000, but it was still required. Tell me where to find the UPC on-line and I'll take a look, but it should be near the same chapter number or the same chapter name...

2000 IPC SECTION 607 HOT WATER SUPPLY SYSTEM

607.1 Where required.

In occupied structures, hot water shall be supplied to all plumbing fixtures and equipment utilized for bathing, washing, culinary purposes, cleansing, laundry or building maintenance. Tempered water shall be delivered from accessible hand–washing facilities.

Exception:

In nonresidential occupancies, hot water or tempered water shall be supplied for bathing and washing purposes. This shall not apply to accessible hand washing facilities.

No John was also listing IPC.

I don't find anything in the 06 UPC that requires hot water, only the limitation of Section 413.1 that limits the MAX temp to 120 degrees.

Yes. Section 607.1 IPC.

.......hot water or tempered water shall be supplied for bathing and washing purposes.

Seems like washing would cover it.

THAT's one of the problems with the UPC.

I've noted that before and the folks at IAPMO tell me that it's up to the local health department to decide if hot water is requried.

Some information on this subject, most of the high & middle schools in El Paso, Texas at one time did not have any hot or tempered water in any of the children’s bathrooms but they had in the teacher’s bathrooms. They sure did put up a battle when they had to come into compliance. Anyways why do a bunch of kids need warm water.