• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Hotel Requirement For Transfer Type Showers

John A. Benton

Good Day!

Per table TABLE 224.2 (Accessibility) GUEST ROOMS WITH MOBILITY FEATURES

Are the showers that are NOT REQUIRED to be Roll-in showers REQUIRED to be transfer type showers? Is there another alternative, such as a tub with the required mobility features? I have a plans examiner that insists "since they are not roll-in showers, they have to be transfer showers". I disagree, but neither he nor I can state our case via the Accessibility Code.

Thank You!

ADA Standards Section 224.2 states "guest rooms with mobility features complying with 806.2 shall be provided in accordance with Table 224.2."

Section 806.2 includes Section 806.2.4 "Toilet and Bathing Facilities," which states "[n]o fewer than one water closet, one lavatory, and one bathtub or shower shall comply with 603. In addition, required roll-in shower compartments shall comply with 608.2.2 or 608.2.3."

Thus, if a roll-in shower is required, then it must be a roll-in shower. Otherwise, it can be either a bathtub or a shower complying with Section 603.

Last edited: