• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

How can I find out what cooking devices comply with UL710B?

The Daily Feast

Hi there-

I'm not sure I'm asking the question right, but I am looking at a commercial restaurant space that cannot have a Type I hood. Reading through permit appeals it seems that certain types of commercial cooking devices can have a Type II hood or no hood at all, as long as they comply with UL 710B. I want to put in a normal range and oven as well as a bread oven - I understand this should all be fine with a Type II hood as long as I am not cooking meat - and for meat I am willing to have just rotisserie. Is this all possible with a Type II hood? Can I find a list of approved devices? How does one go about finding out just what one can use with the limitation of a Type II hood?

Thanks for your help and patience!
Christine

Welcome

The best answer is first set down with your building dept offical and talk about what you want to do.

They will have to approve everything anyway and may give you some suggestions.

Than go from there looking for equipment

What are the main items you want to cook??

Thank you for your responses. I plan to make a lot of vegetable dishes, salads, grain salads, roast veggies, etc. As well as bread, rolls, baked goods of that sort. If I can have a legal rotisserie to cook and hold the meat that would work. It’s going to be a sort of salad bar/take-out location.

I’ve been reading a lot of threads on this site and it seems a ventless type I hood does exist. Can I trust that? If a ventless type I hood were put over a gas range/oven can I then cook meat?

Alto-Shaam company makes a self contained rotisserie oven, theoretically that would require no hood at all, is that true?

Good idea to try to get a hold of a building department official. Thank you again for your time.

The locals would have to approve all equipment

I did see one ventless hood for the first time and yes so far it has worked

I would price the ventless against a full blown type I hood and see where the cost falls

The other if all your cooking can be done in an oven type appliance

All you need is type II

Not into prices, but unless you have a problem venting a hood, appears a type I is cheaper way to go