• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

How many inspections should be required on SFD's? Insulation inspection?

Jobsaver

Central Arkansas (pop. 30,000 - near Little rock)
How many standard inspections should be required on SFD’s? We average thirteen, and are thinking of adding another for insulation.

- stormwater

- sewer/water service

- footing/pier

- under-slab plumbing or electrical

- slab

- rough hvac

- rough plumbing/house gas

- rough electrical

- framing

- final hvac

- final plumbing

- final electrical

- and final building.

Anybody out there have an insulation inspection after the framing inspection?

We have been requiring insulation inspections for decades

It is on Virginia's list of minimum inspections that have to be done

Good conversation starter, Job.

Question for you: can you summarize a stormwater inspection? What are you looking for on this one?

Also - do you perform seperate finals for the trade work, or just cover everything at one time on a final?

We do all the inspections you have listed, plus insulation and draftstopping also after the framing inspection just like mjesse. We also do a construction meter (install of meter in house meter socket prior to final electric) and temporary electric service inspection.

We have a lot of hills and lots of retaining walls, so we do a final lot grading, retaining wall, stormwater direction inspection, plus we also have lots of irrigation systems, that get a plan review, installation and backflow device inspection. If you don't have the backflow device installed and tested prior to the install inspection it cost you $75 for us to come back and do it.

Footing

Foundation

Underslab (rare)

Roof & wall Sheating

Framing, Rough Plumbing & Mechanical at the same time(state covers electrical)

Insulation

Sheet rock

Final, bldg, plumb, mech all at the same time

Have been doing insulation for decades

We also do separate shearwall/braced wall and holdown inspections as well as insulation inspections.

About 6 years ago, we started doing insulation inspections after finding that several new homes had no insulation in the attic.

This was discovered by the new owners after their first cold winter month, and a propane bill of $400 to $600 for that month.

These homes were built by different contractors, but insulated by the same company. The company had even provided the contractors with certification that the jobs had been completed!

Now we don't accept the certificates, we make sure the insulation is there, and is the proper amount.

City of North Port:

Underground Plumbing - 1st Rough

Stem-Wall Footing / Mono Slab

Filled-Cells / Tie-Beam / Wall Slab

Roof Sheathing

Roof Dry-in

Roof In-Progress

Windows / Doors In-Progress / Bucks

Mech Roughs

Plumb 2nd Rough / Tub Set / Sewer / Septic / Water Service / Well

Elect Roughs

Elect Service

Framing / Wall Sheathing / Truss Eng. / Tie-Down

Insulation / Fireblocking

Mech Final

Elect Final

Plumb Final

Build Final

This list does not include Engineering, Zoning, and Public Works inspections...

Stormwater prevention measures reflecting best practices typically include silt fences and concrete washout area for SFD's. These are measures required to keep one's silt, dirt, and construction fluids on one's own property. These are required to help keep storm drains and stormwater basins from silting up.

We perform separate finals, though we may do the mechanical finals on the same trip as a final building.

Note: it is our administrative policy that only the mechanical contractor, (plumbers, hvac, electricians), have the ability to call in their own inspections. I do not believe too many ahj's have this requirement, but it helps with both minimizing disputes and with imposing reinspection fees.

ccbuilding said:
About 6 years ago, we started doing insulation inspections after finding that several new homes had no insulation in the attic.
We check the attic on the final building, but the walls and cathedral ceilings go unchecked. I already see enough to know that it is rare that batts are installed without "crushing" around any obstacle. Also, I rarely see properly installed baffles on tight catherdal ceiling areas.

Jobsaver said:
How many standard inspections should be required on SFD’s?
Well if builders would do their job correctly, I'd say none.

But then again all the inspection quoted could be enough or not enough depending on what people do after you inspect them.

Here the min is:

Footing

Stem

Underground plumbing

Pre-slab

Rough Framing (includes plumbing, mechanical, electrial)

Drywall

Final

It's interesting how many jurisdictions do not do a separate roofing inspection. Not to hi-jack the thread, but do you inspect for a re-roof?

vegas paul said:
It's interesting how many jurisdictions do not do a separate roofing inspection. Not to hi-jack the thread, but do you inspect for a re-roof?
Yes. Florida has very stringent reroof / wind mitigation requirements on existing buildings, especially 1&2 Family Dwellings.

We require:

Nail-Off / Sheathing Insp.

Dry-in

In-Progress

Final

And the contractor / HO must submit an affidavit of compliance...

We do re-roof inspections for nailing and sheeting. Sometimes end up going back three or four times, depending if they tear off all at once or area by area. Lots of time spent for a $50.00 permit.

Here we do:

Footing

Foundation

Plumbing Ground Rough

Plumbing Wall rough (sometimes broken into DWV and H2O

Temporary Electrical Service

Electrical Rough

Framing

Drywall

Electrical Panel

Plumbing Final

Electrical Final

Building Final

With our recent adoption of the 2009 IRC, we added a braced wall panel inspection.

Stormwater/erosion control are all handled with the overall development. We DO NOT require mechanical permits or inspections for 1 & 2 Family Dwellings. Public Works takes care of the water and sewer laterals and connections.

Here we do: footing, slab, plumbing slab,bond beam,floor system, sheathing & strap prior to trades, rough-ins, insulation, temp. power & final. Floor and attic insulation is checked at final.

vegas paul said:
Our council for some reason before I got here exempted re-roofs from permitting. Odds are with the quality of work we are getting, we will be permitting and inspecting them in the near future.

Setback/footing

Foundation reinforcement

Damproofing/perimeter drain

Plumbing groundwork

Roof/wall sheathing

Flashing

Rough frame/plumbing/HVAC/electrical

Insulation-we don't see any true vaults around here, no way to make the IECC reqs.

Sheetrock (checking for tile backer board and separtion req's- amended IRC)

Final inspection, all trades, plus attic insulation, final roof, grading

Yes Paul, we do reroof inspections, like to do mid-roof, otherwise installer takes responsibility....I know it goes without saying. Then final.

Insulation isn't done until framing (all trade which needs to include all fire/draftstopping). Insulation/energy seal inspection is required.

Bryan's list included "Windows / Doors In-Progress / Bucks" but other than that I didn't see any reference to house wrap and window sealing. These are two of the most discussed items related to construction problems but I don't see on anyone's list where you can't seal the windows and house wrap and install the siding without calling the inspector.

They should be inspected--did I miss something?

Robert Ellenberg said:
Bryan's list included "Windows / Doors In-Progress / Bucks" but other than that I didn't see any reference to house wrap and window sealing. These are two of the most discussed items related to construction problems but I don't see on anyone's list where you can't seal the windows and house wrap and install the siding without calling the inspector.They should be inspected--did I miss something?
I am now working on adding an insulation inspection . . . after which . . . it will be something else. The answers in these posts and threads often give me pause to say . . . did I miss something (else)?

The point you make is a good one . . . we miss a lot no matter the sequence. At what point do you make the inspection? Do we check the nail pattern on the sheathing before the housewrap is installed? The housewrap, window sealing, brick ties, and flashing before the brick?

We require housewrap, but do not require a separate inspection for it. The house must be wrapped at the framing inspection, but may already be sided/bricked.