• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

How many inspections should be required on SFD's? Insulation inspection?

TJacobs said:
We require a permit plat with location of proposed work and proposed top of foundation elevation. We require a foundation plat showing actual location and TOF be submitted after the foundation is complete or no roughs. We require a final as-built survey with all improvements shown and distances to all lot lines.QUOTE]Do all three items have to be professionally prepared and stamped? How much does this add to the cost of every SFH? Is the additional cost justified?

We only require a surveyor to get involved when we have a very unique shaped lot where it is hard to determine setbacks. When we do the batter board inspection the property lines are required to have stringlines in place or we will not inspect it.

We also require a surveyor to get involved when we have an elevation that needs to be met. Either FEMA flood plain elevation or there may be a drainage problem and a FF elevation is required to ensure the struture will not be affected.

As far as fences and other improvements we only require a plan to be submitted, drawn to scale, showing the location of the fence or whatever. We do not require a surveyor to get involved. If a person submits a plan stating "this is where we are building the fence (or whatever)" we take them at their word. If they build it over the property line it would have to be really off if we are to say anything. Who can tell f it's an inch or two off. Property owners are very vocal when they think the neighbor is violating their space. If the neighbor thinks the fence is over on their property...civil matter. We do the best we can to keep this from happening but......

In MA typically we have :

Excavation, maybe footing at the same time

Foundation which will include damp proofing, water proofing and drains. An as built plan from a surveyor is typically required at this point before moving forward.

Frame which I also look for draft stop/fire stop at the same time

Insulation

Final

Some towns have separate fire detection rough and finals per FD.

Trades have their own roughs and finals including sheet metal which will soon become our job.

jobs that have peculiar items may get extra inspections. Re-roof get me driving by at random to check in but we have no inspections other than a final required. I like to pass by my open permit sites whenever I have some spare time on the road.

First off, I do do pre and final inspections on reroof jobs.

SFR inspections:

Setbacks, trench & reinforcement

Footing

Foundation wall/venting/slab, anchor bolts, seismic hardware

Floor framing, vapor barrier, insulation,subfloor

Wall & roof framing, fireblocking

Shear/bracewall panels, roof sheathing

Housewrap & windows/doors

Rough electrical, mechanical, and plumbing

Wall & attic insulation, attic venting, baffles

Drywall/lathe & plaster

Electrical and plumbing fixtures, mechanical

Final including required site improvements - curb & gutter, grading, landscaping

Several of the inspections I have in this list are for the homeowner so that they can follow the progress on their new home. I'll be updating the list in the next month to reflect the sprinkler and 'CalGreen' requirements. :mrgreen:

Sue, in snowy, chilly CA :cool: