• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

How to brace posts together in a sunroom?

johnnyoduya

Hello,
I recently purchased a home that has a 3-season sunroom. I've noticed a small gap where the center vertical post meets the horizontal posts. I've attached pictures showing interior and exterior of the sunroom. I'm just wondering if anyone can recommend a method to brace these posts together, such as a metal beam bracket?
Regards,
J

Use 1.5" SDS screws so that you don't loosen things up with a hammer. You can place one on each side.

I like Sifu's answer in the next post better than what I linked to.

Last edited:
Simpson makes a line of heavy duty architectural connectors for timber framing. Both functional and sporty. I bet they have just the thing.

Reactions: ICE
I am having a hard time understanding what I am looking at..is it squared timbers with infill of glass?

A nice way to reinforce something like this is to remove the glass, and add timber knee braces. You can then infill with glass again, but you will end up with some odd shapes to fill with glass, such as the triangles above the braces. Kind of complicated, but looks very nice when finished, and will add a pile of stiffness to the structure. This would help any structural issues.
What I think you are seeing is gapping as a result of wood shrinkage and movement. Any gaps can be filled with log and timber chinking, such as Permachink. Keeps the warm air in and the critters and bugs out.

Take a look at the double cross and post in the based lines, now take a look at the floors barrier directly below. If I’m seeing this correctly that appears to be sagging in the center as well. Do you notice if your floor is pitching toward the center of the room, put a marble on the floor and see where it goes. If this is so you have a more significant issue than the tying the posts together.