• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

How to Determine Construction Type of Existing Building

That was with the thought of being a S-1 and the fire separation from the property line it SHOULD have been 2hr exterior walls.

fj80, You might also want to read mezzanines section 505 and 505.3 to verify what you have in place meets code. Just saying.

That was with the thought of being a S-1 and the fire separation from the property line it SHOULD have been 2hr exterior walls.
You're correct. The one wall that has a fire separation distance of less than 5 ft. should be at least a 2-hour wall per Table 602.

IMO, it sounds like it is a IIIB, non-combustible exterior walls, and any materials on interior, IBC 2015 602.3. The building probably wasn't typed correctly when built or remodeled.
The exterior walls are 12" masonry, so I'm pretty sure they're at least 2-hour rated, but I don't see any reason why the building would be IIIB since the original construction and the renovation were both done with non-combustible materials. The combustible wood loft was added sometime more recently, possibly without a permit.

fj80, You might also want to read mezzanines section 505 and 505.3 to verify what you have in place meets code. Just saying.
The loft does appear to meet the requirements of a mezzanine, but the problem still remains that it is built of combustible material, so is not compliant with Construction Type IIB.

We're considering asking the local code officials if we can get a variance to reclassify the building, or a portion of it, as Construction Type III, so that the existing wood lofts would be code-compliant. But I'm confused about the IBC explanation of Type III construction: "...the interior building elements are of any material permitted by this code." How do I figure out what all the possible building materials are that are permitted by the code. Or more specifically for my case- does that wording mean NON-fire-retardant-treated wood is acceptable?

Here is 2015 602.3 with commentary:
602.3 Type III. Type III construction is that type of construction
in which the exterior walls are of noncombustible materials
and the interior building elements are of any material
permitted by this code. Fire-retardant-treated wood framing
complying with Section 2303.2 shall be permitted within
exterior wall assemblies of a 2-hour rating or less.
 Buildings of Type III construction are typically constructed
with both combustible and noncombustible
materials. The exterior walls are required to be noncombustible
with load-bearing exterior walls required
to have a minimum 2-hour fire-resistance rating.
Exterior nonloadbearing walls are not required by
Table 601 to have a fire-resistance rating, but must
comply with the provisions of Table 602. The elements
within the perimeter established by the exterior
walls (i.e., floors, roofs and walls) are permitted to be
of combustible materials. An example of a typical
building of Type III construction is a structure having
its exterior walls constructed of concrete, masonry or
other approved noncombustible materials, but with a
wood frame floor, interior wall and roof construction
(see Commentary Figure 602.3). The structural members
of a building of Type IIIB construction are not

required to have a fire-resistance rating, with the
exception of the exterior load-bearing walls.
Although fire-retardant-treated wood (FRTW) does
not meet the specifications of the code as a noncombustible
material, it is permitted as a substitute for
noncombustible materials for framing within exterior
wall assemblies of Type III construction. The exterior
surfaces of the walls must be of noncombustible
materials. While the exterior walls are permitted to be
either nonload-bearing or load-bearing, to apply the
allowance for FRTW the required fire-resistance rating
of the exterior wall must be no greater than 2
hours. FRTW is required to comply with the provisions
in Section 2303.2.

Well, this question is one of those that you can ask a jeweler what my ring is made of. If you are not a master you will never understand what type of construction is used in a building because you are not a builder. I was very interested in architecture and always wanted to work as a Construction Manager, but I went to study to be a doctor. So I did not become a doctor, but I decided to find courses that can teach me the subtleties of their field of construction. I chose Construction Manager Programs, where I found some good information for me to start my career. Maybe I can help you with future questions when I become a professional))

Professional what?

So, no construction being performed, built in 1981, so shouldn't the code it was built under be considered for the construction type?