• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

how to rate flooring whse/staging area

BSSTG

Gold Member
Greetings all once again.

We have a flooring store moving in an existing building. 5000 sq ft of a total of 8000 sq ft will be used for storage of carpet, linoleum and such. This business does installs so product will be cut and prepared before going out the door on the service truck. I figure this should be rated as either a Group S-1 or F-1 but am not sure which. On the surface I'm not sure that it really matters much either since the building is about 8000 sq ft total. Opinions please?

thank you all

BS

Re: how to rate flooring whse/staging area

S-1 for the storage, B for the business office and M for the sales floor unless you can fall under the accessory use limitations. I would not consider this an F-1 occupancy

Or they can go non separated use using the most stringent of the code. They need to have their RDP make that call for use group and construction type. I don't know why everyone thinks the building department classifies their building. Plan review is for verification of what's been designed.

I could live with any all of the occupancy use groups mentioned except F. I would not call this a processing operation.

I agree that F is a stretch.

Is it a 'store that stocks product' or a 'warehouse that has a sales area'?

Storage and prep for installs...... S-1. Office space might be small enough to be considered accessory use.