• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

How To Save Money When Buying Gasoline

globe trekker

HOW TO SAVE MONEY WHEN BUYING GASOLINE

Are you sick and tired of paying too much money for gasoline? These tips are

GUARANTEED to save you money when you fill up.

1. Only buy gasoline or fill up your vehicle in the early morning hours when the ground

temperature is still cold. Remember, all service stations have their storage tanks

buried below ground. The colder the ground, the more dense the gasoline. When it gets

warmer, gasoline expands greatly, so buying in the afternoon or evening, ...your gallon is

not exactly a whole, liquid gallon. In the petroleum business, the specific gravity and the

temperature of the gasoline, diesel, jet fuel, ethanol and other petroleum products

plays an extremely important role. A 1-degree rise in the temperature is a big deal for

this business. But the service stations do not have temperature compensation at the

pumps, hence, you are paying for air ( vapors ) and not all liquid gasoline.

2. When you're filling up, do not squeeze the trigger of the nozzle to a fast mode. If you

look, you will see that the trigger has three (3) settings: low, middle and high. In the

low mode ( the slowest pumping rate ), you should be pumping on low speed, thereby

minimizing the amount of vapors that are being created while you are pumping. All hoses

at the pump have a vapor return. If you are pumping on the high “fast” mode, some of

the liquid that goes to your tank becomes vapor. Those vapors are being sucked up and

back into the underground storage tank so you're getting less liquid gasoline for your

money.

3. One of the most important tips is to fill up when your gas tank is HALF FULL or HALF

EMPTY. The reason for this is, the more gas you have in your tank, the less air that is

occupying its space. Gasoline evaporates at an extremely high rate, faster than you can

imagine. Large gasoline storage tanks have an internal floating roof. This roof serves

as zero clearance between the gas and the atmosphere, so it minimizes the evaporation.

4. If there is a gasoline truck pumping into the storage tanks when you stop to buy gas, DO

NOT fill up !! Because the gasoline is being pumped into the storage tanks at a high

rate, the gasoline that is already in the storage tanks is being stirred up as the gas is

being delivered in to them, and you might pick up some of the debris that normally settles

on the bottom.

5. The gasoline pumps are designed to measure the products dispensed by volume and not by

weight. The amount of gasoline and other petroleum products that you just purchased,

isn’t really the amount that you paid for. You paid for the vapors; as well as, the liquids.

This is the amount that registers on the dispenser. So, start filling your tanks at a

much slower rate to get your entire dollar amount of a liquid gallon.

Hope this helps. Now, go forth and save money! :D

Re: How To Save Money When Buying Gasoline

chris,

I'm trying to post a MS Word document with some worthwhile info, but I am still learning "How To" on this newfangled, 'much appreciated' forum. :lol:

Tanks in the ground are pretty much at a constant temperature. That's how geothermal heat pumps work.

globe trekker said:
chris,I'm trying to post a MS Word document with some worthwhile info, but I am still learning "How To" on this newfangled, 'much appreciated' forum. :lol:
Ahh, I see I just caught you at a bad time. ;) Have you tried the "preview" button to the left of the submit button? From what I have seen here so far it is an accurate representation of what your post will look like on the board.