• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

HUD Homes?

jpranch

Platinum Member
I was just reading through some of the HUD home construction requirements. Quite confusing. With everything that is going on with green and the energy codes why in the heck are we still allowing single and double wides to be built to the HUD standards? We have energy zealots at the code hearings doing their very best to

squeeze every watt out of IRC & IBC buildings but still allow HUD energy hogs? Or am I missing someting here. Please help me out.

When NYS first went to Statewide Uniform Code Enforcement the original legislation only referred to political subdivisions of the State. Mant State Agencies claimed they were exempt. Shortly thereafter NYS adopted another subdivision that specifically addressed State agencies. Maybe the Feds need to do the same with the Energy Code?

Thanks for the response JBI. I just do not understand how the DOE (and HUD) can ignore the obvious??? Here in this jurisdiction just like many others across the country our housing stock (new and existing) consists of a lot of single & double wide homes. Why in all that's holey are they NOT meeting the minimum requirements for new homes just like chapter 11 of the IRC. It's like "Wiping before you poop" "It just doesn't make sense".