• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Hydrochloric Acid Storage

docgj

Silver Member
I have a gas drilling company requesting to store large quanities of hydrochloric acid in outside storage tanks. They have not submited any plans...still in the planning stages. They will be loading and unloading a number of times throughout the day. Where do I find requirements for such a facility. I am in Pa. 2009 IBC. I know a the very least they will need a containment system. What about distance to property lines? Existing Buildings? What type of material for containment system? Is this more of a DEP and zoning issue not IBC? The area is zoned commercial, but there are homes on each side of property.

docgj

Re: Hydrochloric Acid Storage

Correction... It is zoned industrial not commercial. Zoning a nonissue!

docgj

IBC 414.6 will lead you to IFC Chapter 27 where you can find everything your looking for regarding Corrosive liquids and storage, separation and dispensing.

Thanks you saved me a lot of time and research!

docgj

Sounds like you may want to require a technical report from say a Fire Protection engineer, to type the chemical, and look at Fire and Building code requirements. Which will generate a report for you to review, and base requirements off of it

We all need professional help once in awhile

Thanks CDA that is a very good point!

docgj

I call in the big boys when ia over my head and need professional help, just makes life alittle easier on everyone.

The code allows the AHJ to ask for two documents that will answer many of the questions.

A Hazardous Materials Inventory Statement (HMIS) should tell you exactly what they have, how much of it and how they plan to use it.

2701.5.2 Hazardous Materials Inventory Statement (HMIS).

Where required by the fire code official, an application for a permit shall include an HMIS, such as SARA (Superfund Amendments and Reauthorization Act of 1986) Title III, Tier II Report, or other approved statement. The HMIS shall include the following information:

1. Manufacturer’s name.

2. Chemical name, trade names, hazardous ingredients.

3. Hazard classification.

4. MSDS or equivalent.

5. United Nations (UN), North America (NA) or the Chemical Abstract Service (CAS) identification number.

6. Maximum quantity stored or used on-site at one time.

7. Storage conditions related to the storage type, temperature and pressure

The Hazardous Materials Management Plan.

2701.5.1 Hazardous Materials Management Plan.

Where required by the fire code official, each application for a permit shall include a Hazardous Materials Management Plan (HMMP). The HMMP shall include a facility site plan designating the following:

1. Storage and use areas.

2. Maximum amount of each material stored or used in each area.

3. Range of container sizes.

4. Locations of emergency isolation and mitigation valves and devices.

5. Product conveying piping containing liquids or gases, other than utility-owned fuel gas lines and low-pressure fuel gas lines.

6. On and off positions of valves for valves that are of the self-indicating type.

7. Storage plan showing the intended storage arrangement, including the location and dimensions of aisles.

8. The location and type of emergency equipment.The plans shall be legible and drawn approximately to scale. Separate distribution systems are allowed to be shown on separate pages.

The owner or permit applicant needs to provide these documents. If they do not have the horsepower to prepare them, get a qualified FPE