• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Hydrogen Detection

Car5

I have a company putting is a large Hydrogen tank outside. They use it for a coating process. The process booth has hydrogen detection and ventilation. The question is, does the rest of the building since it contains the piping from the exterior to the booth have to have detection monitoring? It seems the code is all over From IFC to Mi BuildingCode to mechanical to NFPA. I am IFC 2015 in Michigan. The State is doing a review for the tank farm. I’m trying to figure out along with the mechanical inspector what is required for interior. Any help and code references would be greatly appreciated.

Keep mindful that you may be classified as an H (High Hazard) occupancy if the quantities of hydrogen gas exceed the limits per IBC Table 307.1(1). If you then have to classify as an H, be aware of the special detailed requirements of IBC Sections 414, 415, 418 (maybe), and 421.

I have a company putting is a large Hydrogen tank outside. They use it for a coating process. The process booth has hydrogen detection and ventilation. The question is, does the rest of the building since it contains the piping from the exterior to the booth have to have detection monitoring? It seems the code is all over From IFC to Mi BuildingCode to mechanical to NFPA. I am IFC 2015 in Michigan. The State is doing a review for the tank farm. I’m trying to figure out along with the mechanical inspector what is required for interior. Any help and code references would be greatly appreciated.

I cannot see what you are,, Are you the ahj?

sounds like you are ahj

I would not touch this with out a required technical report from a Fire Protection Engineer,,,,!!!

Which IFC allows you to require from owner and paid by them.

As you see there is a lot more required than just detection

If a hydrogen detection system detected hydrogen and there was no interlocked explosionproof ventilation system ....well that ballgame would be over.

I cannot see what you are,, Are you the ahj?

sounds like you are ahj

I would not touch this with out a required technical report from a Fire Protection Engineer,,,,!!!

Which IFC allows you to require from owner and paid by them.

As you see there is a lot more required than just detection
Yes, I am an AHJ, a very new AHJ. I’ve been in the fire service for 25 years, but just promoted up to the Fire Marshal A year ago.

I did mention the review by a fire protection engineer. They have had this process for a long time in an existing building. They are tearing down the building and redoing it. I know there is a lot of things required, we were just inquiring if detection would be required in the rest of the plant due to the piping goin to the booth. My thought is if you have piping then you have joints, you have the possibility of leaks. I just would like to know if there is a code section noting of where monitoring is required.

would push the fpe

just because it is existing, does not mean it is right.
Plus they are moving it.

Let me do a little looking.

I would say yes detection would be required in multiple places.

I'm not sure what the code requirement is these days but I to work in a synthetic polymers plant and we used hydrogen in our practice also. Like your situation we had detection at the tank farm area but we also headed the pipe racks and at the point of use. I'm not sure the exact distance but I'm guessing we had detectors probably every 50 feet or less along the entire system.

Ok my non engineer analysis,

IFC in play, but not much there

NFPA 2 definitely in play!!!

Requires detection, but gives no guidance on placement.

So back to what would be my requirement to the owner,

1. submit a FPE name or firm, for approval.

2. Have FPE look at the entire process from, tank, to piping, to actual process.

3. Provide a technical report for review, to include building code requirements, electrical requirements, ventilation requirements, Detection requirements, and all other code requirements that apply.

Ok my non engineer analysis,

IFC in play, but not much there

NFPA 2 definitely in play!!!

Requires detection, but gives no guidance on placement.

So back to what would be my requirement to the owner,

1. submit a FPE name or firm, for approval.

2. Have FPE look at the entire process from, tank, to piping, to actual process.

3. Provide a technical report for review, to include building code requirements, electrical requirements, ventilation requirements, Detection requirements, and all other code requirements that apply.

Thank you!

I'm not sure how the facility would fall under the requirements but I know all chemical related plants are required to do Process Safety Analysis (PSA) on every hazardous processing have. These point out all the evidence points and recommend corrective action for those. Be interesting to see if they've done one this proposed process and if they have what it came up with.