• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

I am not a plumber question

cda

Sawhorse 123
So saw this on an incident.

Domestic Water pipe connection came apart.

I thumped it and to me was hard pipe.

So legal??

Just wondering can the hard pipe be compressed, using the clamp shown?

Or am I missing something.

Thanks, trying to get educated

Attachments

• 6C6054B1-E3A9-4C29-911E-9868A4E6CC21.jpeg
    6C6054B1-E3A9-4C29-911E-9868A4E6CC21.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 32
Agree ... looks like a plastic barbed fitting for flexible hose/pipe. Looks like they were hoping to compress a rigid fitting on the barbs. “Hey ralph, that looks tight, can’t turn the screwdriver any more”.

Pex can use a pinch clamp, crimp ring or reinforced ring, the photo appears to show the crimp ring. All are approved for indoor water supply.

Are you saying that is considered pex??

The pipe was hard, like pvc hard

Are you saying that is considered pex??

The pipe was hard, like pvc hard

I can’t definitively say what that pipe is without a marking. To me it would appear to be pex, assume with a spray fire coating over the surface. That coating may be why the pipe is now stiff. From the pic, looking at the bottom of the fitting and some rings it looks sprayed!?!?!?

I can’t definitively say what that pipe is without a marking. To me it would appear to be pex, assume with a spray fire coating over the surface. That coating may be why the pipe is now stiff. From the pic, looking at the bottom of the fitting and some rings it looks sprayed!?!?!?

I think they painted it for some reason

I should have taken pictures of of un painted,,, which was hard also

and had markings

Seems like your theory is right
Non painted is a little more flexible

Plus

Attachments

• 25AE0F9C-6B59-4D15-B7F0-708FFA1F72A3.jpeg
    25AE0F9C-6B59-4D15-B7F0-708FFA1F72A3.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 5
  • 96CFAFDB-C67D-4073-870F-25D896894788.jpeg
    96CFAFDB-C67D-4073-870F-25D896894788.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 6