• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

I didn't want to vote yes or no without commenting.

Associations have an agenda. What is the agenda for this proposed association? Why is there a need for tax-exempt status for a forum that makes no money? If the forum were to be a big hit and have the potential to sell advertising, would Jeff be missing an opportunity?

So far I am seeing the same crowd that I saw at ICC. I was relatively new at ICC as a poster but I used the BB for insight from the archives. I suspect that many people look for answers from the archives rather than post a question just as I did. Here there is no archive to reach into. If this place becomes an association there must be an option for the average person to utilize the site without joining an association.

The key is getting the word out. The ICC BB was just a tiny part of a big site and I didn’t even know it was there until I stumbled upon it. This site is so much better in that it is devoted to the BB and not an agenda.

A $1000.00 would buy plenty of flyers. Hire kids to put them on the windshields of pick-up trucks at Home Depot. Send flyers coast to coast. Heck every Home Depot around here already has a crew on the corner. Get a stamp made and put the web address on currency. You’re gonna need a better name for the site, something the gets the idea across such as, “code questions answered free”.

I want to see real questions from lots of people that need reliable answers. Answers that are professional, you can take it to the bank, solid.

Speaking of Banks, I once had a contractor that wanted me to approve his framing, which wasn’t done, had corrections and basically stunk. He kept repeating, “I need something to take to the Bank”. Well I felt sorry for him what with him needing a draw and all so I asked him for a piece of paper. I wrote on the paper “I have a gun, give me money”. I handed it to him and said, “ There you go, that will work at any Bank”. I like to be of help when I can.

Re: I didn't want to vote yes or no without commenting.

Tigerloose: "Associations have an agenda"?

Tiger that is a fair question an I will take a shot at an answer. This site was formed by the seat of our pants. It was a desperate attempt to keep those that have posted together for years and some of us not so long together. At the close of last week most of us didn't know if ICC would even provide a place to chat. Over the weekend we all have seen what they produced. I am not impressed.

I can only speak for myself on this subject! You may have notice that some of us posted our personal emails on the old BB in an attempt not to loose contact with others. I believe that the majority of the old crowd enjoyed the debate,code talk, and all the assorted banter that was included. In one post, I referred to the BB as being like the TV show "Cheers" everybody new your name, or at least your screen name. In that web community was a regular group; that besides the heated debates had formed a bond, so to speak. Most of them have arrived here at this site.

Before the BB closed I reach out to some I knew who had web pages etc that could possible aid me in a futile attempt to provide such a place as we have today. As I left work Jeff happen to call on an unrelated matter, I told him of the problem that was unfolding at ICC. He statement was I can fix that, so here we are on Jeff's dime and his time.

If this site is to remain it will have to be operated in some form and with some expense. Thus the need for an Association. From my vantage point this will be needed. In regards to an agenda the bottom line is to provide a place that people can come and freely exchange ideas on code and other related matters, to continue to educate each other and strive to be more informed professionals. To lend a hand to the beginning inspector or encouragement to the seasoned ones. In short to create a net work that will challenge each other on life safety issues.

I believe most understand the need to organize and manage the opportunity that Jeff's has provided. We have a great deal of intelligent people assembled and with the spreading out of the work load and the securing of finances we can provide a great and fun place.

In response to your question is Jeff missing an opportunity? I would say NO! NO! The exchange of ideas is more important then the few pieces of silver.

I agree with Tigerloose.....

However, I am sure that operating exspenses are going to go up as variou events occur/unfold. I also do not want to see Jeff put into any form of liability for operating this site. If it can be formed as a non-profit association, it will not have to pay taxes, revenue that is created from advertishment can be used to upgrade or increase bandwidth - any extra can be donated to a charity. The main thing is in the event of legalities, it protects Jeff's pocket.... who is already incurring exspenses operating this board - such as time away from family, time from office, etc.

I am not adverse to helping cover the cost to operate, or put some time in to help manage. I'm not so sure it needs to be as formal as filing for non-profit status, or creating an 'Association'. Basically what we have right now is a 'blog'... a rather well organized and focussed blog, but a blog nonetheless.

The information age has skewed traditional concepts of liability in the sharing of ideas. A simple disclaimer on the opening page, not unlike the one tjacobs/Jake has as his signature statement, would probably suffice. Most of us know enough to qualify our answers when responding to John Q. Public, and discussions with peers would not rise to the level of implicating anyone as being liable in a court action.

I haven't voted 'yes' or 'no' yet partly because I don't want to be 'the guy that voted no'. Most responses were 'yes' votes, and even informally we all would probably agree with 'a simple majority rules', so my lone or minority 'no' vote will not have any impact in the long run anyway. That's not to say I don't care, it's just not a 'make or break' issue for me.

I like being part of the sandlot baseball game in the shadow of the big professional stadium, but if the majority wants to take a shot at the big leagues, I'm OK with that . If that comes with (a reasonable) cost, so be it.

I just feel comfortable with this particular group, regardless of how we define ourselves collectively. (Even kilitact... :mrgreen: )

The Association of Associates That Dislike Associations :lol:

InspMO said:
The Association of Associates That Dislike Associations :lol:
This post belongs in Association Talk>Association naming suggestions :mrgreen:

I dunno, I don't mind posting yes or no without a comment ... now let me comment.

Okay, so we escaped (as it were) from the evil clutches of the ICC. We'll gather up our star fighters and ... er, wait, that was a different movie. But seriously, the are costs, yes it should be non-profit (IMO) but basically it just needs to cover the costs (whatever they are).

So who put this thing together (no I didn't read all the posts) and who is keeping track of the costs? Needless to say it should be fairly minimal so we can attract as many folks as possible. The next question is so if you don't pay, do you still get to post? Limited posting? Allow them to read but not post? What?

I feel we're here to try to help each other. The ICC has closed it's ranks and is there to help itself and make more money for itself rather than help all of us.

Just one man's opinion.

For the cost of setting up a non-profit, this board could probably run for five or more years.

And that's without the costs of running a non-profit.

If push comes to shove, I'm sure someone can find a hat to pass by PM.

mmmarvel - Is that Single Malt or Blended?