• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

I knew I needed a new roof

And when you start replacing plywood you have to upgrade the attic insulation....You are welcome!

N1111.1.1 (R503.1.1) Building Envelope

Building envelope assemblies that are part of the alteration shall comply with Section N1102.1.2 or N1102.1.3, Sections N1102.2.1 through N1102.2.12, N1102.3.1, N1102.3.2, N1102.4.3 and N1102.4.5.

Exception: The following alterations shall not be required to comply with the requirements for new construction provided that the energy use of the building is not increased:
  1. Storm windows installed over existing fenestration.
  2. Existing ceiling, wall or floor cavities exposed during construction provided that these cavities are filled with insulation.
  3. Construction where the existing roof, wall or floor cavity is not exposed.
  4. Roof recover.
  5. Roofs without insulation in the cavity and where the sheathing or insulation is exposed during reroofing shall be insulated either above or below the sheathing.

Flat roof, or very low slope?

I’m sure only the legs are in the pictures so we can’t see the fall protection harnesses …

And no fall protection in sight!
They don’t even have nail bags, much less fall protection. And by the way, this is single story … only solar companies have fall protection on single story work. When you apply for a job as a roofer you have to hit the dirt from a single story roof and then walk it off.

Is there an attic space? Must be no. There aren’t attic vents on any of the houses.

I see a couple of spots of sealer goop … what are they sealing?

And why do you need so many tin tags, considering the number of nails that will be holding the shingles down?

I see a couple of spots of sealer goop … what are they sealing?

And why do you need so many tin tags, considering the number of nails that will be holding the shingles down?
Tin tags are based on wind zone and type roof. This will be a standing seam metal roof. The sealant is covering areas that may have been compromised during nailing.

170 mph requires a 12"x12" grid pattern. You're good for 1000 mph.
Funny, but not quite right. Using the workers shoes as a 12” gauge, the rows are about a foot apart but some of the columns are a little far apart.