• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

I Need Some Help...

rshuey

We have a theater, restaurant and hotel that has been abandoned and is slated for repo. The problem is a water pipe broke about a year ago, there is no HVAC on and the entire inside is mold and mildew. We have the standard adopted state codes, as well as the 06 IPMC.

How and where can I address the mold? There are a few parties that would like to buy, but are afraid of all the damage. Wood floors are curled, all the theater seats are black mold.

I just need some advice....

Thanks in advance!

Post it under the IPMC, 305.3, require that they obtain the services of an industrial hygienist to identify the mold and how to remediate it. And require the IH sign off on the remediation.

The structural/cosmetic stuff you can handle in house.

JMHO...........

perfect answer, oh fat one... not all black mold is toxic - that's what the IH will determine. Remediation can be costly.

"...How and where can I address the mold?..."

You? How about the owner's hired help?

Professional designers should be on this case.

On the old BB we had a great member named Caohmin P. McConnell, or something like that, whose was/is an industrial hygenist and who is a font of relevant info.

% % %

rshuey,

If all of the "interested parties" are that concerned, tell them

to go ahead and purchase the properties and make

arrangements with the local fire department to have a

controlled, training [ burn ] event on them. Then they can

demolish and start over. No need for an IH! ;-) They would

get some serious positive P.R. for their efforts.

Removing a blight in the community, ...injecting an economic

catalyst in to the community, ...providing direct assistance

to the local fire department by offering a venue to train on, etc.

% % %

Last edited by a moderator:
north star said:
% % %rshuey,

If all of the "interested parties" are that concerned, tell them

to go ahead and purchase the properties and make

arrangements with the local fire department to have a

controlled, training [ burn ] event on them. Then they can

demolish and start over. No need for an IH! ;-) They would

get some serious positive P.R. for their efforts.

Removing a blight in the community, ...injecting an economic

catalyst in to the community, ...providing direct assistance

to the local fire department by offering a venue to train on, etc.

% % %
Haha. I wish! Problem is, I am the BCO of a small borough with a nationally recognized historical district. This building is a downtown staple to the community and if I tried any type of demo order, I would be run over....

Can't just demo something with any kind of historic designation. Usually.

Give the poor building a chance to live again

Maintenance code does not address mold only it's causes. If the building was in use you could make them fix it, but with an abandoned building you can only make them secure it from public entry or demolish. I have a similar one right now and it will be out of here soon lord willing. You should not get involved with making it attractive to buyers. Not our job imo.

I agree, the IPMC doesn't require fixing anything, but you can use it to require the building be safe, and clean, prior to the public accessing it.

RJJ, yes, it's a pretty broad section, but I've yet to be put to the test on it, so far it's worked for me.

With IPMC when you cite a section not only do you have to give a time to cure the situation, but you have to give a statement of what needs to be fixed. If the people are willing to cooperate then no big deal. Just received a letter back on a list of violation contained in some photos on another thread with a list of 9 times I have abused my discretion.

I have a standard letter that I use that cites (and lists) all the code sections regarding notifications and what is required. I still don't think it would be outside the code to require an IH signoff on mold issues. I'm doing something similar in three instances right now, pet hoarding. Hundreds of dog/cats, some alive, some dead, in houses. I have no idea what hazards exist, but I can darn sure require a IH to evaluuate before I let someone move in there, the signs are posted.

Yes , you may go for assistance. Why don't you talk about some civil engineer about this matter. Renovation may be costly for you but perhaps a bit reconstruction would work and sort out the matter.

A licensed professional needs to evaluate this building per the Existing Building Code (chapter 34 if that's what you've got). Kick it back, don't take it on for your office.