• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

I or L shape cellar egress door stairway? MUST have railing?

Giginw

Hi all,

I need to dig an egress door in order to keep the current shower in the cellar (two means of egress for keeping three fixture bathroom).

I can't decide btw I shape straight up and down stairway or L shape stairway. The width of the building is 14/15 ft. The current drawing put the door in the middle.

I assume I shape would allow more light to come through; easier to move large appliance like freestanding tub to move in; and will be easier to cover with a clear cover? However, the stairway might be more tight and steep or taking too much backyard space?

L shape provides more comfortable walking. But I'm not sure if the freestanding tub can get through; and if the wall would allow less sunlight to get through?

Also, I want to install clear cover instead of railings. But my architect said it wouldn't pass the inspection as the code requires railings. Is that true? I saw so many metal covers over egress door all over NYC.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

A permanent metal bilco style door would eliminate the need for guards, but if the drop is more than 30 inches you are going to need guard protection if the metal folding cover doors are not in place over the entire opening, architect is correct.

If the protection is not fixed in place and non-removable, think about it.

Doesn’t the cover need to able to support a person standing … or falling ... on it when it’s in the down position?

A permanent metal bilco style door would eliminate the need for guards, but if the drop is more than 30 inches you are going to need guard protection if the metal folding cover doors are not in place over the entire opening, architect is correct.

If the protection is not fixed in place and non-removable, think about it.
Thank you! I looked up and found bilco cover is surprisingly expensive (around $1k). In that case I might as well doing railing and canopy. The cost might be similar but would allow more space and light.

Doesn’t the cover need to able to support a person standing … or falling ... on it when it’s in the down position?
I assume the clear covers are probably acrylics? Or maybe there's no need to pass the inspections when the covers were installed.

No landing in front of door? What you show looks like a tornado shelter entrance. Does basement have any windows?

No landing in front of door? What you show looks like a tornado shelter entrance. Does basement have any windows?
I eventually decided to go with L shape like below picture which allows more comfortable walking. I'll use clear canopy to protect the drainage from water.

Thank you:)

bdoors.jpg