• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

I see a code change coming

i'm going to guess most of this is due to monster plasma flat screens, not properly attached to the wall. inadaquate blocking in the walls. when i have to start telling people to tie down their tv's, i'm doing something different. i though t we dealt with building codes, now it's going to be "appliance codes"? yeah, there's some snark here, but for good reason. when does "big brother" stop, and my own personal responsibilty for my actions kick in. is there a book on that ? some of this stuff is ludicrous. you know, i just read in the local paper a 4 year old shot himself in the face with a handgun his daddy "unmistakenly left on the night stand" well, where i come from, that daddy is an idiot for not being smarter about having a loaded gun where his kid could get it. . he's also probably in a lot of pain right now over the loss of his son. but, the kid is too small to know what 's what with handguns, and the dad just flat "should know better". the same applies to alot of what we do. peolpe don't have NO COMMON SENSE anymore

If it saves just one child's life, then it's worth it. Unless of course it involves regulating firearms.

It's appears to be TV's on top of furniture!

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/pubs/5004.pdf

A quick look at the stats a potential new record is set each year with a continuous increase.

”Products that were hanging on the wall and fell were also excluded. Appendix B gives more details about the conventions that were applied to the reported incidents to determine in-scope cases.

Unstable items not included in the count:

1. Anything falling from/off of/out of a wall, or attached/connected to a wall.”

http://www.cpsc.gov/library/foia/foia11/os/tipover2011.pdf

Good awarness posting. Remember to check dishwasher and appliance tip guards.

Francis

The code change is already here.

Appliance plug and play - see manfacturer installation - permit not required

I have not yet installed a tV that did not come with proper mounting instruction.

I may have never read them but they were provided..

Even the base mount stands indicate screw down or bolt through the shelf - as long as the shelf is secure.

brudgers said:
If it saves just one child's life, then it's worth it. Unless of course it involves regulating firearms.
If that was the case we wouldn't have dogs, pools, fireplaces, swings, cars, bicycles, skateboards, snowboards, skis, sleds, skates, motorcycles, etc.

Sorry to hijack this thread but it got me thinking. Speaking of code changes. There needs to be a mandatory carbon monoxide detector provision for ALL buildings that have the potential to produce it.. Not just residential. Silly not to have them in schools, ice rinks, assembly areas, etc.

Mr.Inspector said:
Sorry to hijack this thread but it got me thinking. Speaking of code changes. There needs to be a mandatory carbon monoxide detector provision for ALL buildings that have the potential to produce it.. Not just residential. Silly not to have them in schools, ice rinks, assembly areas, etc.
more importantly the location off the floor . smoke det. in all sleeping rooms , don't say where just says in the bedroom . i have people putting detectors as far away from the door as possible . talk about common sense

fatboy said:
Common sense ain't so common.......
Prediction....In the year 2050, with common sense on the brink of extinction, the ICC will publish the first of it's kind code book to fight the effects of what I like to call "Reverse Evolution". In chapter 11, written for those completely bankrupt of common sense, section 1105.7.2.5.6.4 "THINGS YOU SHOULDN'T DO" explains the consequences of jumping in front of a high speed train. A short excerpt from this section includes...

and I quote "......and if by some miracle you manage to survive, ICE will write you a minimum of 7 citations and have your pictures up for everyone to see.

inspectorgadget said:
i have people putting detectors as far away from the door as possible . talk about common sense
Uh, I'm confused. As long as it isn't in a dead space and is within 12 inches of the ceiling when wall mounted, what does door location have to do with smoke alarm location?

MikeC said:
Uh, I'm confused. As long as it isn't in a dead space and is within 12 inches of the ceiling when wall mounted, what does door location have to do with smoke alarm location?
Since the door is typically the highest opening in a bedroom to the rest of the house smoke will typically have a concentration great enough to trip the smoke alarm earlier in this area. This could provide an occupant an extra minute or two to escape from the dwelling.

That is not the purpose of the smoke alarm in the bedroom. The code (IRC) assumes the door will be closed and smoke will NOT pass through. The smoke alarm in the bedroom is intended to notify occupants of fires in the bedroom. R314.3 Location. #2 requires an additional smoke alarm outside of each separate sleeping area in the immediate vicinity of the bedrooms. This is the smoke alarm that will be activated by a fire outside of the bedroom.

The only time I address location is when it is outside of the manufacturers suggested locations or in an area that is going to cause nuisance alarms, which most manufacturer suggest against. For some reason, people seem to insist on placing a smoke alarm in the kitchen. FWIW, most manufacturers suggest installation in the center of the bedroom ceiling, due to that being the one point that is nearest to every other point in the bedroom. Any ceiling location is usually accepted as long as it doesn't get with 4 inches of a change of plane (dead area).

MikeC said:
That is not the purpose of the smoke alarm in the bedroom. The code (IRC) assumes the door will be closed and smoke will NOT pass through. The smoke alarm in the bedroom is intended to notify occupants of fires in the bedroom. R314.3 Location. #2 requires an additional smoke alarm outside of each separate sleeping area in the immediate vicinity of the bedrooms. This is the smoke alarm that will be activated by a fire outside of the bedroom. The only time I address location is when it is outside of the manufacturers suggested locations or in an area that is going to cause nuisance alarms, which most manufacturer suggest against. For some reason, people seem to insist on placing a smoke alarm in the kitchen. FWIW, most manufacturers suggest installation in the center of the bedroom ceiling, due to that being the one point that is nearest to every other point in the bedroom. Any ceiling location is usually accepted as long as it doesn't get with 4 inches of a change of plane (dead area).
That's weird, our codes require the same things, but for different reasons. The NBC requires smoke alarms in bedrooms because of studies preformed by the NRC indicated that a smoke alarm within the bedroom reduced the amount of time required for egress due to the alarm being louder (temporal alarms improved this again).

Does the IRC really require doors on sleeping rooms to be smoke tight? That seems really cost prohibitive.

I guess I misspoke when I said that smoke will NOT pass through the door. Smoke will pass through a door at a very slow rate. Firefighters teach children to put a blanket at the bottom of the door and then go to a window and yell for help when they cannot get out. That is because the bottom of an interior door is usually the largest gap. The area outside the door can be deadly while there still isn't enough smoke in the bedroom to activate the alarm.

Here is some interesting reading about smoke travel through the gaps around closed doors:

http://fire.nist.gov/bfrlpubs/fire90/PDF/f90018.pdf

Here is an older educational video about doors that is still in use by fire fighters today:

Close the Door PSA - YouTube

Now that smoke alarms are required to be interconnected, it only adds to the effectiveness of the alarm outside of the bedrooms.

This house cooked.

DSCN5137.jpg

DSCN5146.jpg

DSCN5140.jpg

DSCN5154.jpg

You've seen how the rest of the house looks. This is the grandson's bedroom. He shut the door before fleeing.

DSCN5157.jpg

Made a believer out of me.