• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

IBC 1013.8 window sill height and 4" opening limitation

George McGerd

Bronze Member
2012 IBC 1013.8 states: Operable sections of windows shall not permit openings that allow passage of a 4-inch diameter sphere where such openings are located within 36 inches of the finished floor [and located more than 72 inches above the finished grade or surface below].

Per my interpretation of the first sentance "In Occupancy Groups R-2 and R-3, one- and two-family and multiple-family dwellings….." the requirement only applies to buildings classified as R-2 and R-3.

The commentary reads: The window limitations specified here are intended for Group R-2 and R-3 units. These facilities have the highest potential for infants and toddlers being present for an extended period of time.

Does anyone have experience with this requirement for sill height / window opening limitation being applied to other types of use and occupancies, for example "E" (educational / school building)? The way I read the code is that the requirement is intended to be limited to R-2 and R-3 but I suppose the commentary leaves its application somewhat open to interpretation.

Thanks

Seems like the code is clear where it is required

1013.8 Window sills.

In Occupancy Groups R-2 and R-3, one- and two-family and multiple-family dwellings, where

Do you wish to submit for a code change?

I might look at that section for a child day care facility classified as a Group E under 308.6.1

I would not for other Group E uses

I would use Section 104.1 to make the interpretation.

You may want to go to the start of the section under 1013.1 which is for guards. Guards are required to be a minimum of 42" in height. The specific section you reference is almost an exception allowing window sills in R-2 & R-3 to be lower, at 36", if they are provided with the control device described in 1013.8.1. I think that in all other occupancies opening window sills would need to be at 42" if needing a guard. Let's see what others think.

ZIG

edited to read r-2 & r-3 instead of R-3 & R-3

1013.2 Where required.

Guards shall be located along open-sided walking surfaces,

1013.8 is specific to window sills no matter where the are located in specific occupancies

Code was always silent about open-able windows and the height above the floor

Thanks to all. I am not trying to extend the application of this code to cover type 'E' occupancies. I am getting push back from a code official who is interpreting the code to apply to schools (i.e. type 'E') because of the presence of the building's occupants being young children.

George McGerd said:
Thanks to all. I am not trying to extend the application of this code to cover type 'E' occupancies. I am getting push back from a code official who is interpreting the code to apply to schools (i.e. type 'E') because of the presence of the building's occupants being young children.
Well normal response is "PLEASE show me the code section requiring this, so I can evaluate it"

Thank you mr. Code official

Ask him to reread the charging statement at the very beginning of the section, very clear where it applies.

George McGerd said:
Children in schools receive supervision; children at home may be left unsupervised.