• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

IBC 2009 - Panic Hardware Life Safety, NFPA

rbcameron1

I'm looking through all the sources I can and can't seem to get a straight answer so I'm looking for some guidance.

Do all egress doors require panic hardware? (IBC 2009)

The best I've come across is no, only for H over 50 occupants and A & E classifications over 100.

So if I have a B or I occupancy with 200 people I don't need panic hardware? That seems unlikely. Clearly my youth and inexperience is at my disadvantage today.

You are reading correctly for Ibc

The list keeps getting shorter every few years, to me a little scary with some of these McMansion Mega Stores.

It is 50 or more not 100

1008.1.10 Panic and fire exit hardware.

Doors serving a Group H occupancy and doors serving rooms or spaces with an occupant load of 50 or more in a Group A or E occupancy shall not be provided with a latch or lock unless it is panic hardware or fire exit hardware .

If you have a "B" occupancy building with an "A" use that requires panic hardware then the panic hardware must be installed upon all doors along the exit path is what has been taught in a lot of code classes I have attended. Not sure if I totally agree with that but you may run into some jurisdictions that enforce it that way.