• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

IBC 2015 Smoke curtains at elevator openings required when not opening to a corridor?

Karo Wheeler

I have a 6-story R-2 building and we are not required to provide enclosed elevator lobbies because we are fully sprinklered.
We are providing smoke curtains where the elevator doors opens to a rated corridor to comply with corridor continuity (section 1020.6). My question is whether I need to provide a smoke curtain in those areas where the elevator opens to a non-rated space, e.g.:
- a partial basement that is just one large back-of-house area for the hotel that does not include a rated corridor
- at the rooftop level where the elevators open to a small vestibule that leads to the outside. that vestibule is not rated but acts like a non-rated elevator lobby.

I would think that I don't need to provide smoke curtains here, but am not sure if I need to provide the smoke curtains to comply with another code section that I might miss.
Thank you!

I check the thread and it says:
"Elevator doors are typically rated for 1-1/2 hours per UL 10C, which covers 2-hour-rated hoistways. The issue is that they are not sealed for smoke leakage. Only doors within fire-rated corridors and smoke barriers are required to meet smoke and draft control requirements. The only reason you would need to add anything to an elevator entrance is to provide smoke and draft control without the addition of an elevator lobby or pressurization per the exceptions to Section 3006.3.".

This answer makes me think that on those levels where the elevator DOESN'T open to a fire rated corridor, I WOULD NOT need to provide a smoke curtain?
I don't need to provide elevator lobbies in this project because we are fully sprinklered...