• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

IBC 2018 903.2.1

artbuc

This condition requires an automated sprinkler system:

“…fire area located on floor other than a level of exit discharge serving such occupancies…”

Our HOA clubhouse is single floor on partial slab with small basement and attic. How would the condition above apply to our clubhouse? Thanks.

PS. I posted this previously in wrong forum.

Here is other info from our drawings: NFPC 1996, sprinklers per NFPA 13, construction class 5A protected, occupant load 137, 5980 sq ft.

I am trying to understand why a sprinkler system was installed. This a Pulte design. They built this same clubhouse many times around the country. I think they included a sprinkler system because some local jurisdictions might require it. Our township follows all national codes without local modifications.

It is not required for A3 under 12000sq ft unless this third condition is met which is the basis of my original post. What the heck does it mean?

“…fire area located on floor other than a level of exit discharge serving such occupancies…”

That may not have been in the code which your building was constructed under. I don't remember the term Fire Area used in the Legacy Codes that I am familiar with either. (UBC & SBCCI)

Lack of Fire Flows (GPM of water) or the consumption of alcohol in the building could have triggered sprinklers or even your insurance carrier at the time

I lifted that from IBC 2018. Our clubhouse was built under NBC 1996.
That may not have been in the code which your building was constructed under. I don't remember the term Fire Area used in the Legacy Codes that I am familiar with either. (UBC & SBCCI)

Lack of Fire Flows (GPM of water) or the consumption of alcohol in the building could have triggered sprinklers or even your insurance carrier at the time

I don't have access to a 1996 NBC (BOCA) code since I retired, but I used it a lot when it was current. As best as I remember A-2 in the 1996 NBC would still be A-2 under the IBC. It was probably originally considered A-2 because of the possibility of being used for cocktail parties.

I don't have access to a 1996 NBC (BOCA) code since I retired, but I used it a lot when it was current. As best as I remember A-2 in the 1996 NBC would still be A-2 under the IBC. It was probably originally considered A-2 because of the possibility of being used for cocktail parties.
That sounds right. We have a kitchen too so food would be a factor.