• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

IBC 2603.4.1.6

RJJ

Co-Founder
Dow Zmate flame spread 15 & smoke 165

I have this exposed in a crawlspace in an I2 occ. Design professional says it meets 719.3 and does not need to be covered. Seems IBC2603.4.1.6 says it does. Can't seem to fined an es report on this product and would venture to say it needs to be covered by one of the methods listed in 2603.4.1.6. What say the fire guys on the BB. Yes or NO and why?

Re: IBC 2603.4.1.6

719.3 would not apply because 2603.4.1.6 is more specific and the more specific always applies.

If he would read 719.1 it clearly states foam plastic must conform with Ch 26 anyway so his reference to 719.3 is not applicable

Sounds like another wording change for the next cycle.

cda: no link! I was on the site last night on another computer and could not fine any tec details on this product.

I have a single page faxed from the dp that looks like Page 13.

OK, I got lost here somewhere.

Page 2 of the ES report states that it must be installed IAW chapter 26 so it does need to be covered. I did not see that the ZMate was listed on page 3.

So the ES report basically allows it to be installed IAW the manufacturer's instructions but it still needs to be covered per 2603.

Right?

Based on specific code 2603.4.1.6; I would tend to agree with Jeff and require the covering IAW laundry list to prevent ignition and exposure.

From web page_

STYROFOAM™ Brand Z-MATE™ Insulation fits between Z-furring channels placed on 24" centers, which saves installation time by eliminating cutting or snapping of insulation boards. The Type X extruded polystyrene foam insulation is designed specifically for use beneath drywall in interior masonry wall applications.

Seems like it is being used in a manner different than what the company intends......

RJJ said:
Dow Zmate flame spread 15 & smoke 165 I have this exposed in a crawlspace in an I2 occ. Design professional says it meets 719.3 and does not need to be covered. Seems IBC2603.4.1.6 says it does. Can't seem to fined an es report on this product and would venture to say it needs to be covered by one of the methods listed in 2603.4.1.6. What say the fire guys on the BB. Yes or NO and why?
Covered.

719.1 Exception 2. Foam pastic insulation shall comply with Chapter 26.

Chapter 7 sends you to Chapter 26 for foam plastic insulation.

Section 2603.4.1.6 has specific provisions that require the foam plastic to be covered. It does not necessarily need to be a thermal barrier (as is evident by the inclusion of corrosion resistant steel in the list). If the crawl space is a plenum then 2603.7 is applied which will require a thermal barrier.

Thanks for all the responses! I had called it during inspection that covering was needed. In the end the DP tried a fast one. His rebuttal falls short. That product as indicated in the es report can remain exposed up to 2.5 ". He has 3" installed. End result must cover to be in compliance with 2603.4.1.6.

This BB once again is a great place for getting answers! cda and Jeff thanks also for the es link. For the live of me I couldn't find it.