• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

IBC 706.5 - Fire Wall Horizontal Continuity

ccollings

SAWHORSE
hopefully this is an easy question. When a fire wall terminates at an exterior wall then the walls on either side need to be 1 hour rated for 4 feet. Per 706.5 when the fire wall extends 18" beyond the exterior wall then there is no rating required on either side?
I have a fire wall on 1 side of a vestibule. if the fire wall extends 18" beyond, then the there can be glass directly against the fire wall?

Not exactly. Assuming the 2009 IBC or later edition is applicable, Section 706.5.1 explains two options regarding the treatment of exterior walls adjacent to a fire wall. Either option applies regardless of how the fire wall terminates at the exterior wall.

The first option is to have 1-hour exterior wall construction on each side of the fire wall for 4 feet with 3/4-hour opening protection if the walls on each side form an angle less than 180 degrees. You do not state the wall location on the other side of the fire wall. If the wall is in line with the glazed opening for the vestibule, then no protection of the glass or the wall on the other side is required. If the wall location is less than 180 degrees, then protection is required for the specified distance.

The second option allows to place an imaginary lot line that extends from the point where the fire wall terminates along a path that you prescribe that benefits you most in regard to wall and opening protection based on fire separation distance.

Last edited:
I have to admit that i'm very confused by this. It appears to me that 706.5.1 contradicts what is said by 706.5?

706.5 addresses the termination of the fire wall at the exterior wall, whereas 706.5.1 addresses the exterior walls on either side of the fire wall termination.

The first option is to have 1-hour exterior wall construction on each side of the fire wall for 4 feet with 3/4-hour opening protection if the walls on each side form an angle of 180 degrees or more.
RLGA, didn't you mean 180 degrees or LESS, like your comment below?
If the wall location is less than 180 degrees, then protection is required for the specified distance.

Straight (180 degrees) angle = no protection required.
Straight or more = reflex (180-360 degrees) angle = no protection required.

Acute (0-90) angles, right (90) angles, and obtuse (90-180 angles = protection required, or use imaginary property line to develop solutions.

RLGA, didn't you mean 180 degrees or LESS, like your comment below?

Straight (180 degrees) angle = no protection required.
Straight or more = reflex (180-360 degrees) angle = no protection required.

Acute (0-90) angles, right (90) angles, and obtuse (90-180 angles = protection required, or use imaginary property line to develop solutions.
Yes, you are correct. it should be "less." I will edit my post.