• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

IBC Section 506.3 Sprinkler Increase?

jpranch

Platinum Member
I'm quite certain of the answer on this one and perhaps just looking for conformation. So here is what I have: Single story new Educational use group building. Type 5B construction that has a crawl space. The design professional has taken the allowable 300% increase in area to make this work but dose not want to provide fire suppression in the crawl space. I say this dose not work. Feedback please.

Need more info see NFPA 8.15.6.2 IBC [F] 903.3.1.1 NFPA 13 sprinkler systems.

Where the provisions of this code require that a building or portion thereof be equipped throughout with an automatic sprinkler system in accordance with this section, sprinklers shall be installed throughout in accordance with NFPA 13

Most crawl spaces do not need sprinklers unless maybe if they are storing in it or maybe mechanical equip

Do not have 13 to give sections

Interesting twist that I just found out. They also want to use the crawl space as a return air plenum. Just read through all of the 8.15 section of the 13 standard. Still cannot get one of the sections to work for a 6' crawl space with all combustible construction. Am I missing something?

Last edited by a moderator:
I thinking another section would possibly require them

Just wonder if the space is wood construction, if not then sprinklers may not be required